2016 POTD Thread Archive

Sneak peek of my square project, I have been recording alot of footage in hopes of a YouTube channel, this project being a video series...
It needs to be flipped and all the work done on the other side yet.

I did a repair to my mill, vari speed pulley bushings, this time I think it's gonna hold haha, it was cool to hear the end mill plowing through the iron, half inch 4 flute carbide 2600rpm, 20ipm, little over 300 sfm and a 2 thou chip load .200woc/.070doc (my mill was loud cause of the pulley bushing)
20160322_170018.jpg

I discovered today that my lathe with the DRO can cut more accurately than I can measure it. (More practice I guess)

Paco,
1/2" smaller diameter drive pulley on new motor = lower spindle RPM. Of course, the VFD will take care of that.

I'm wondering what all the features of the new control system are. Is there a separate thread walking us through what's going on? If not yet, I sure would like to see one.

Like it or not, you're a role model around here. Much capability in your shop and kept meticulously squared away. Also plenty of fine output (projects) too.

Maybe in my next life . . .

What's on the opposite end of the shaft on the motor? Encoder? Brake? Thermal switch connections?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi, the unit is a Encoder that came with the new motor. We decided to remove it as the VFD wouldn't care about timing and positioning of the shaft. Maybe on a conveyer system or bridge crane where slight movement could result in injury. On the lathe application its somwhat pointless.

Paco,
1/2" smaller diameter drive pulley on new motor = lower spindle RPM. Of course, the VFD will take care of that.

I'm wondering what all the features of the new control system are. Is there a separate thread walking us through what's going on? If not yet, I sure would like to see one.

Like it or not, you're a role model around here. Much capability in your shop and kept meticulously squared away. Also plenty of fine output (projects) too.

You are correct sir, the "under drive" pulley was used due to the new motor speed. The end results where as expected, a ten fold in speed range in each selected gear with zero cogging or harmonics. Simply awesome. Mark offered his help and I was not looking forward to stuffing that gem in the small hole alone. He also suggested to inch the motor forward on the base pivot plate requiring only to drill/tap new holes (4- 3/8"-24) and eliminate the need for an adaptor plate. The end of the motor shaft sticks past the end of the machine by 3/16" but a solution has been reached for this minor issue. I enjoy working along side Mark and would never pass up the chance.

The features of the new build are: 24v Control system (flood coolant remained 240 3ph), LED lighting, Tachometer, Variable speed control, Jog button, E-stop, By-pass momentary button (hall proximity sensor), Two position brake switch (position 1, chuck brakes in 1 second, position two brakes in 3-5 seconds), Motor braking, Proximity Hall sensor mounted to the carriage stop with micrometer adjustment (my personal favorite feature). All control switches are upgraded and light up indicate conditions. The Hall sensor is also backed up with a safety micro switch killing power and braking in 1 second. Foot brake lever works the same as before but uses only the micro switch to send signal for braking (brake shoes removed). E-stop, Proximity micro switch defaults to 1 second braking regardless of brake switch position. Redundant safety features prevent accidental "crashing" when properly used. The wall mounted enclosure houses the VFD, brake resistor, 3 ph breaker (flood pump), power disconnect,fuse block, and 24v power supply and a cooling fan with exhaust port on enclosure to keep air flowing. The VFD programming allows for soft start ramp up, constant torque, braking, and Hz rang from 2-100Hz giving a extreemly wide range of speeds as mentioned. The new motor was the last piece of the puzzle to fully take advantage of the new control system. All cabling used is VFD rated with shielding including the VFD power to motor cable.
None of this could have been possible without Marks help and expertise. In the end, Mark provided me with color schematics, part numbers with links for sourcing and VFD programming parameters, all which are in a binder in sleeve protectors for future referencing.

Appreciate the kind words, I really enjoy this forum and like to share and learn as much as possible. Many intelligent members with way more talent then me with way more to offer than I can possibly contribute. Been working with steel for a little more than three decades and have a touch of OCD (I'm told) since a young age Haha! The machines have been purchased over the past 20 or so years as work demand has never really stopped. My other career is also detailed oriented and I have been told a time or two (ok, way more) that I'm anal but they would always want me to treat their loved ones in a medical emergency. Its a young mans game out there as I'm one of the old timers now,so when I come home from a rough 24 hour shift, I manage to refuel my soul in the shop, something my wife has supported me in. She's a real champion!

Sorry, no photos of yesterdays motor retrofit as time flew by having Mark's help. We managed a beer at the end of the satisfying/successful day.

Sneak peek of my square project, I have been recording alot of footage in hopes of a YouTube channel, this project being a video series...
It needs to be flipped and all the work done on the other side yet.

I did a repair to my mill, vari speed pulley bushings, this time I think it's gonna hold haha, it was cool to hear the end mill plowing through the iron, half inch 4 flute carbide 2600rpm, 20ipm, little over 300 sfm and a 2 thou chip load .200woc/.070doc (my mill was loud cause of the pulley bushing)
View attachment 125429
Beautiful work my friend! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm sure the lathe will be a joy to run with all the new features. My recently acquired machine has some of those features already, but now I guess I will have to be "keeping up with the Paco" and add a few more as I go through it.:grin: Mike

extropic said:
Paco,

You are correct sir, the "under drive" pulley was used due to the new motor speed. The end results where as expected, a ten fold in speed range in each selected gear with zero cogging or harmonics. Simply awesome. Mark offered his help and I was not looking forward to stuffing that gem in the small hole alone. He also suggested to inch the motor forward on the base pivot plate requiring only to drill/tap new holes (4- 3/8"-24) and eliminate the need for an adaptor plate. The end of the motor shaft sticks past the end of the machine by 3/16" but a solution has been reached for this minor issue. I enjoy working along side Mark and would never pass up the chance.

Well my grand daughter finally did the water test of the lock she has been building. And it seals enough to work.

David,

Freaking awesome project! Your grand-daughter is one smart and talented cookie. I can't express, without rambling, how great of project this is. I mean, it's physics, engineering, the art of thinking through...right, rambling.

Anyway, if she cares to, she can seal up an small leaks with this stuff: 3M 5200 Sealant.* I have used this stuff on a variety of projects in the marine environment. It is good stuff.

Cheers,

Tom

*I do not work for 3M but I am a shareholder of 3M stock. My recommendation is based on being a satisfied customer. Of course, being a satisfied customer is why I am still a shareholder...

Back