2016 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks paco, it was ALOT of machine time, the first program said like 12hrs run time, so I had to go back and increase stepovers and speeds, the other side I think I'm gonna rough with a half inch so I can really push it, I just love the sound of hearing that end mill bite in and fling chips. Before I'd did the repair you couldn't hear anything lol.
One thing about it, is running the 3/8 ball nose, it left little artifacts in all the corners on the floor, I may run a profile to clean em up or just run in manually with an 1/8th em

Tom,

Thank you very much for your comments. She is indeed a very talented young girl and just loves working with me in the shop.

Since all the gates actually open and close, the leaking is at the quoin and heel post and the mitre posts and mitre sill. What we did end up doing is putting some silicone stop cock grease on the moving / mating parts and this reduced the leakage to an acceptable amount...just like the real ones with the wooden gates.

All of the welds she did on the acrylic structure are water tight.

When I had a cruiser I did use 3M 5200 and can also attest to its tenacity.

David

I made a cooling outfit to my hi-power (500W) sieg X2 mini mill today.
IMG_20160323_225413119_HDR.jpg
Cooling is provided by 2 computer coolers, 2 computer fans and the revs are adjusted automatically by a small thermostat you see bolted on the motor.
A small switch that switches the circuit on (continuously), off and on through thermostat was also added.

Full story here
Petros

Hi, the unit is a Encoder that came with the new motor. We decided to remove it as the VFD wouldn't care about timing and positioning of the shaft. Maybe on a conveyer system or bridge crane where slight movement could result in injury. On the lathe application its somwhat pointless.
That's what I thought. Just curious. Thanks for answering!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I glanced at the sentence without reading it properly my brain interpreted it as

"he's fitting a cup holder to the side of his cart, that's a handy idea"

pete
That might be my next project.:encourage:

Well this is not really a project of the day, since it has been a couple of months in the making. And came together today.

My 14 year old grand daughter asked me if I could help her with a science fair project that would be due in April 08, 2016.."Why sure, what is it?". I want to make a demonstration of how a canal river lock works. One of the historic Canadian Rideau river canal locks.... Sure that is fine..."with water". omg. How can one resist.

So for the past number of weeks I have been mentoring her on the use of my shop equipment. I made the original plans since I knew the travel limitations of my bandsaw, mill and lathe, so scaled the lock accordingly.

Since it had to be water tight we decided to make it out of acrylic, and put everything together with welding solvent.

The project involved machining of acrylic, brass, aluminum and steel. She learned to be comfortable with the lathe, mill, small rotary tool grinder, and a number of hand tools, including taping and cutting external threads with dies.

Today we finished off the lock push rod crabs. When I told her that we needed to drill a hole in each crab for the tension pin...she said ok.. put them one at a time (there are 4 of them) in the mill vise, used the centre drill, then followed up with the final bit without my supervision.

Although the final outcome is what she has been waiting for, for me it was the journey. She has been like a sponge, totally involved and wanting more.

The model working lock is about 22" wide and 10" overall high. Here are a couple of pics;View attachment 125252 View attachment 125253

David
Well played Grampa.

Heatstock.jpg Not just today, been tinkering with this on & off for a couple of days. Made this head-stock for a wood-turning bowl lathe. It has tapered roller bearings (recycled wheel bearings).
I bolted it to lathe cross slide to bore for the bearing seats. The welding might not pass a X-ray inspection but it will hold up to the job.

Took a couple of days, built a tubing bender for the 5/8 stainless Im going to use for hydraulic lines on the fire wood processor I'm building. Used cold blueing on it in hopes that it will slow the rust as it sits after the lines are done.

IMG_2109.jpg

Greg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

f350ca,

Wow!!! You weren't fooling around. That bender looks like it will hold up for a while. :D

Thanks Paco.

I was especially curious (what does it activate) about the proximity sensor. I now understand that it initiates an E-Stop. Have I got that right?

Back