2016 POTD Thread Archive

Michael, That is a monster Drill Press.
I almost bought one at an auction for less than $50, but I was by myself and had no way to load it or space for it at the time.
I kick myself now wishing I had got it. It looked something like the one Keith Fenner has in his shop.
Thank you. I have to say, it has come in handy having it down in my shop. My usual plan of attack is to mark the hole, drill a pilot hole with it somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8 to 1/4 and then punch it to a final size. People are impressed and to be honest, at $200 dollars and power downfeed, it beats the pants off of any of those little $200 dollar units that were designed to drill wood, that people try to use for metal...

I once had a friend tell me that it is normal to burn up drill bits drilling metal. He said the shop he worked in bought drill bits all the time and usually in his metal working experience, they only last 5 holes. We argued that he was using too high a speed. I invited him over and let him drill some holes with the monster. He left telling me I was probably right.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Finished welding up the PID Temp control box. Mounted all of the components in and added a fan for air flow for the SSR.
Now I just need to mount it and figure out how to wire it to the Kiln.

upload_2016-4-5_22-37-48.png

upload_2016-4-5_22-38-32.png

upload_2016-4-5_22-37-38.png

I used the same controller kit on my heat treating oven. The SSR blew up at a fraction of its rated current. I replaced it with a real one from a local supplier. Works well with the imported controller.

That's what I am doing, making a heat treating oven. The label says it can handle up to 2200 degrees F.
How did you wire it up?

I used the same controller kit on my heat treating oven. The SSR blew up at a fraction of its rated current. I replaced it with a real one from a local supplier. Works well with the imported controller.

Was it a china brand ssr? That big clive who looks at funny and dangerous and mis represented chinease stuff (electronics generaly) did a look inside one.

His vids can be quite interesting.

Stuart

Thank you. I have to say, it has come in handy having it down in my shop. My usual plan of attack is to mark the hole, drill a pilot hole with it somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/8 to 1/4 and then punch it to a final size. People are impressed and to be honest, at $200 dollars and power downfeed, it beats the pants off of any of those little $200 dollar units that were designed to drill wood, that people try to use for metal...

I once had a friend tell me that it is normal to burn up drill bits drilling metal. He said the shop he worked in bought drill bits all the time and usually in his metal working experience, they only last 5 holes. We argued that he was using too high a speed. I invited him over and let him drill some holes with the monster. He left telling me I was probably right.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack the thread...
What brand drill press is that? For the unenlightened like me, inquiring minds would like to know. I'd like to have a drill press with a power down (like this one and Keith Fenner's in Turn Wright Machine Works). I have looked at several that were advertised as a "camel back drill press" and was disappointed when I found a light duty, clapped out press.

Quote: I do the same thing as Mike, vise and angle grinder.
I guess us Mike's do some things the same way. Hey Mike, by chance, did you marry a Redhead too? :big grin:

As a matter of fact, I did. This pic is probably 10yrs old. My hair (what there is left of it) is now pretty much white, hers is still it's natural red. Cheers, Mike
NewYears2007-MichaelSusan-1.jpg

It's done by splitting a large diameter tube/pipe into 4 pieces and welding them to a square plate. Mine is 4.75" OD by .25" wall pipe welded to 1/2" thick plate.

what did you use to slice up the tube?

Sorry to hijack the thread...
What brand drill press is that? For the unenlightened like me, inquiring minds would like to know. I'd like to have a drill press with a power down (like this one and Keith Fenner's in Turn Wright Machine Works). I have looked at several that were advertised as a "camel back drill press" and was disappointed when I found a light duty, clapped out press.

The green one is a Royersford Excelsior 21" The black one is a W.F. Barnes. #1. They are out there and they are getting harder to find. Some of the older guys that are selling them refer to them as Upright Drills or Flat Belt Drills. So, try those terms. I even saw one advertised as a arbor press once up in New York. I think the worst part is, these presses are worth more dead than alive because of the sheer amount of metal they have. I have a guy here that works at the scrap yard and he has personally seen two there get destroyed in the last 6 months. It is sad what is happening to our old machines.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Back