2016 POTD Thread Archive

Invar is pretty special material, very very stable due to a very low coefficient of expansion with temperature.
Many moons ago when I was surveying, the measuring chains (bands) were made of invar.

pete

Yep, I intend making up precision spacers to go in the gauge trays on my lathe, in a selection of Useful Lengths, for when the Trav-a-Dial isn't going to be accurate enough...

Dave H. (the other one)

Here is the almost finished project. I still have to do all the welds, right now, it is only held together with tacks, but it did hold up my weight when attached to a tractor and it did lift a little boulder in the back yard. As for when I will do the welding, I want to stick weld it for cost effectiveness, unfortunately I don't like stick welding inside and it has been to cold and wet here to weld outside. So, I guess I can work on other things till then.

1c56622a91615acb2b3b78dc25a9a4f9.jpg

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

I have a very very rusty long leg vice that is going to become cast iron square and round stock in the immanent future :)

Stuart
I would try a spark test on it. It may be cast sleel or forged steel. I have 4 leg vices. To valuable to cut them up. I would clean up moving parts then oil and use the vice.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

that picture shows a hot country girl, not a Packard at a race track..... love it

A friend of mine has a Rockwell 11" lathe. The cross feed nut is worn out and a new one can't be found. I never cut an acme thread before , but what the heck, how much harder can it be? .....yea .. right :rolleyes:. I milled a block out of a round piece of bearing bronze I had lying around. The screw is 1/2-10 left hand acme. I drilled a .375 hole for the minor diameter and then proceeded to try and make a threading tool since they are $100 on eBay for an acme boring bar!!!!!! Spent two hours grinding a nice tool on a 3/16 HSS bit and could not get it to silver solder on the end of a bar. I ended up with a mess.:(. I got a piece of 3/8 HSS lathe bit and hogged a tool out of it. Took a couple hours. It is ugly but the business end is right and that is what matters.
ACME thread tool.jpg ACME thread tool1.jpg
These are pics of the bit. Told you it was ugly.

Acme nut.jpg This is the finished nut block. This is at least a class 3 fit . I can turn it with my fingers but it is stiff. I left it that way because this is a new piece of acme screw and I'm sure his is worn in the middle. I am hoping this will reduce the backlash from screw wear. I left the nut in the lathe until I try his screw in it , just in case I have to take another cut in it. Now I have to try to figure out the height of the nut to fit in the saddle and line up with the screw. I don't yet know how I will determine that. If I cut too much it will require shims to make it work. From start to finish this project has taken all day to get to this point.

The kitchen is sort of a workshop. I installed LED under cabinet lights in mine yesterday.
While I was in the mood, I replaced the ceiling light and over sink light with LED fixtures.
I may have to go to the hospital to recover from bending under the cabinets to install the fixture clamps.

cab lights_0916.JPG

Looks like visibility in the "shop" should be much improved. I can commiserate on the back pain. I was helping a friend put up some t-111 siding and took an 8' swan dive (more like ugly duckling) from a ladder when the bottom kicked out and landed flat on my back on volcanic rock. Took about 10 minutes to start breathing normally. Mike

I would try a spark test on it. It may be cast sleel or forged steel. I have 4 leg vices. To valuable to cut them up. I would clean up moving parts then oil and use the vice.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I would love to save it, it's probably between 100 and 200 years old but it came to me in a bad way from someone who got it when it was in a bad way.

Thinking about it, theirs a good chance it's forged steel.

View media item 95249
Stuart

I have an old Lincoln (buzz box ) welder AC only. Welds with 6011 only. A friend told me to reverse the leads and then you can use 7018. I tried it and it worked!!!
Not as good as an AC/DC welder would, but as an added accessory to my wire welder.
Bill

I have an old Lincoln (buzz box ) welder AC only. Welds with 6011 only. A friend told me to reverse the leads and then you can use 7018. I tried it and it worked!!!
Not as good as an AC/DC welder would, but as an added accessory to my wire welder.
Bill

Bill,

Are you using 7018AC? I use an old AC welder routinely with 7018AC and the ground is hooked to the ground side.
I will have to try this and see if there is any difference. Have you tried it both ways and there is a difference?
Just curious I guess. Thanks.

Back