2016 POTD Thread Archive

I am not sure you can get a zero vibration machine, there are always vibration modes at specific RPMs with machines.

Sure you can, it's all a matter of $$$$$$$$$. But I agree that it's not going to happen with hobby machines or even most industrial machines unless you have a NASA or military budget.:grin:

Sure you can, it's all a matter of $$$$$$$$$. But I agree that it's not going to happen with hobby machines or even most industrial machines unless you have a NASA or military budget.:grin:
That's a funny combo because the two are so different. I remember a few years ago learning that NASA's annual budget at the time was less than the cost of air conditioning military facilities in Iraq.

I reassembled the non-headstock gears on my father's old Logan 850 lathe. After over a decade since he disassembled it to restore it (not sure exactly when, I just know when he moved from the house where he did so) there were only two parts missing: the woodruff key and the nut for the leadscrew. I guess if you're going to lose parts those are the kinds to lose. I'll have to figure out what the specs are for those.

I'm quite pleased that everything is here and it was quite painless to reassemble. Seems kind of silly that he put up without power feed or screwcutting for this long. I couldn't go even a week after getting it without doing it. :)

9c31278e7fd5dfd460b7c0ca392f37a2.jpg

I lied. There were also two missing screws, but they were just 10-24 pan head machine screws, which I have in abundance.

Ugh. The Kawasaki motor finally died on my zero turn...what really sucks is that it was likely caused by the engine being assembled incorrectly by the factory, but the local distributor made a ridiculous finding which killed any chance of it being fixed under warranty. He claimed that the airbox I made to relocate the air intake away from the grass catcher didn't have enough holes in it, causing the engine to run lean...I checked, there was no noticeable difference in the intake vacuum whether or not the airbox I made was open or closed, or if the whole setup was reverted to stock. Meanwhile, the fan in the engine was installed incorrectly, so it wasn't cooling the engine properly, causing it to overheat. It is unlikely I will buy anything else from Arjay's in Edmonton...

Anyway, I bought a similarly sized Briggs&Stratton engine with the same crankshaft dimensions, mounting points, and harness connection [but of course, you have to separately buy the exhaust, and an 'installer' manual from B&S, and then a separate manual with torque specs, B&S are kings of nickle and diming you to death]. Tomorrow I have to get some tubing to alter the exhaust a bit so it doesn't interfere with the frame of the lawnmower.

Yesterday I finally installed the air spring conversion kit from LMS on my mill/drill. I didn't find the directions to be all that clear. Of course that might just be me.

Since I followed the instructions in a step-by-step manner I took the paper template that they provided to locate the two holes in the top of the head. I made holes in the indicated places, taped it to the top of the mill, and punched where I was supposed to drill. Later on in the process I discovered that I could have simply clamped the part in place and used a transfer punch to start the holes.

Just sharing this if anybody else is going to install one.

Ugh. The Kawasaki motor finally died on my zero turn...what really sucks is that it was likely caused by the engine being assembled incorrectly by the factory, but the local distributor made a ridiculous finding which killed any chance of it being fixed under warranty. He claimed that the airbox I made to relocate the air intake away from the grass catcher didn't have enough holes in it, causing the engine to run lean...I checked, there was no noticeable difference in the intake vacuum whether or not the airbox I made was open or closed, or if the whole setup was reverted to stock. Meanwhile, the fan in the engine was installed incorrectly, so it wasn't cooling the engine properly, causing it to overheat. It is unlikely I will buy anything else from Arjay's in Edmonton...

Anyway, I bought a similarly sized Briggs&Stratton engine with the same crankshaft dimensions, mounting points, and harness connection [but of course, you have to separately buy the exhaust, and an 'installer' manual from B&S, and then a separate manual with torque specs, B&S are kings of nickle and diming you to death]. Tomorrow I have to get some tubing to alter the exhaust a bit so it doesn't interfere with the frame of the lawnmower.

Dave, if the airbox you made is before the carburetor, not having enough holes would make the engine run rich, not lean.

Greg

Back