2016 POTD Thread Archive

I have never had a DRO on a lathe before but after doing some work the other day I decided I needed some.
The prices have sure come down since I last bought some for the mill.

Installed on my 12X36 lathe for the X and Z axis.
GEDC2767s.jpg
GEDC2771s.jpg
GEDC2775s.jpg
GEDC2776s.jpg
GEDC2778s.jpg
GEDC2779s.jpg

Now I will have to learn how to use them.

Thanks for looking

Ray

LOL
NE of Topeka 25 miles up K4 hiway then East on 92.
Look for Perry Lake.

Nice job on the DRO installation, Ray. I've been pondering putting them on my PM12-28.

Black shows dirt pretty well.

Quit wiping down your machines for a week or so, until everything converges to the same shade of gray. Then buy paint that color.
If drawers are wood then fine oil finish with tough clear coat and make sure finish is glass smooth and not something that your oils will attack.

Then cleanup is just wipe off and it looks classy.

Wood looks poor when painted....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Nothing complex, just made a hand tool for my draw bar . Piece of quarter inch I had and a 3/4 inch socket . Cut the quarter inch roughly to the size circle I wanted, welded it on then chucked it in the rotary table. Milled the outer rim concentric to the socket.
Decided to spruce it up a little, got some practice making bolt hole patterns. First time using my rotary table .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1SocketRoughCircleSteel.jpg 2SocketWeldedOn.jpg 3DrawbarWrenchDone.jpg

Decided to put some grip around the rim.
5MakingKnurlsDrawBarTool.jpg

Smoothed it back out with sandpaper then scotch brite. Wish I had a lathe !
6ReSmoothingDrawTool.jpg 7DoneDrawTool.jpg 4DrawbarWrenchDone.jpg

Finished my die holder today.

First time knurling and it turned out pretty good but I realized afterwards that the handles are too long and having knurls at the end of the handle is not a good idea since that is the area where it rides on the cross slide. I also found the handles are too long so I will likely cut the knurled section off. Also discovered that turning the chuck by hand, using the chuck key is a PITA so I now need to make a hand crack to attach to the outboard end of the spindle.

Here's some pics.

upload_2016-10-25_12-26-29.png

Cutting one of the many threads using my recently made spring center. I like it.

upload_2016-10-25_12-28-54.png

Here are the parts sitting on a bench. The handles are screwed on to the main body but as noted above I plan to make some changes to them. My imperial and metric dies have slightly different OD's so I made 2 different cups to insert into the main body. Not sure why the colors are weird.

upload_2016-10-25_12-31-7.png

Here is one of the cups installed in the main body.

upload_2016-10-25_12-33-51.png

And finally here it is sitting on the TS quill ready to do it's job.

upload_2016-10-25_12-35-39.png

Back