2016 POTD Thread Archive

Finally got some work on on a tool height gage for the new large. Threads are pretty, but may be about a thou undersized. Stupid compound has actual measurements, not diameter measurements like the cross slide. This will be the top once I part it off:

2fc6849b0182f29bb85046c02e5d375e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very nice looking threads... :)

had to change this ;-/

i knew it was smaller than my older dodges but jeeezzzz...

IMG_1129.jpg

Just FYI, and not sure where else to put this: Shars is having a Black Friday sale (you know, one month from now...) with 20% off your order, with "some exclusions". Personally I don't mind the heads-up so far in advance so I can plan accordingly.

shars.jpg

Nothing like looking up parts for your lathe (or whatever) on eBay to make you want to part out your lathe so you can afford upgrade to a better one, and then retire early. I think people think these things are made of solid gold.

Not exactly what I did today, but something I finished up recently. I had posted about a small amount of miss alignment in the vertical plane on my tailstock so made this floating reamer holder. Actually made 2 of them identical with the exception of bore size this one is 1/2" for the reamers that I am making and the other is 7/16" for commercial chamber reamers. the main body parts are cut from 2" 1144 bar stock , the pivot point in the center is a 1/4" ball bearing that sits in matching pockets cut with a #5 center drill. The shoulder bolts are 5/16" x 1-1/4" long, with the mating holes reamed 2 reamer sizes over to allow for axial correction. I haven't tried it yet but looks to be sound in theory.

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

Also made some single step gas check makers for castboolit shooting, the one shown is for 44 cal using .0162" thick copper sheet. the copper is inserted into the slot ( cut with a .020" slotting saw ) and with a single stroke of the loading press the copper disk is sheared to diameter and the copper gas check is formed falling thru the opening in the bottom of the tool. the upper body ,center shear punch are made from o-1 the internal form punch and loading press base mount are made from 1144 stress proof. I made them for 41 , and 458 cal as well just for a start.

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

Finally trammed my pm25. It arrived looking good, and for the few things I did early on everything looked good. I finally purchased the things I needed to properly check the tram and it was 13 thousandths low on the right side tilt at approx 8" diameter swing. Using the 1x2x3 blocks and my DTI mounted in the spindle I was about to get it close enough that the DTI showed the same on both sides (.001 resolution) - so, good enough (better than I had imagined I would get it). First time actually doing it. Loosening those bolts on the tilt adjustment made me nervous because I actually though I would end up making it worse. Glad I did it. Ive been fly cutting a large plate of A36 with issues, now the surface finish/cutting pattern look correct.

-IC

I need to powerfeed my x axis.

Back