2016 POTD Thread Archive

I finished up my banjo/change gears project by making the needed flange nuts. I technically finished late Thursday night (2am), because i knew the cold front that was rolling in was going to make the shop unbearable. The shop is currently 38 degrees, so i think i made a wise choice. :concerned:

Now I need to clean up and convert the shop to woodworking mode, so I can make some Christmas presents.

Lack of time, recent tool purchases and too many half finished projects had turned my workshop into a crowded, unworkable mess. So as it was a long weekend over here I decided a tidy up was in order.
First task - getting my lathe set up and levelled onto the new cabinet I had brought and repainted for it 6 months ago.
IMG_3084.JPG

The newly painted cabinet makes the lathe look decidedly shabby - but that's a whole other project which I keep putting off.

Tidy up will continue tomorrow

Subsequent to my attempt at tiny thumb screws, I decided I needed a new knurling tool. On-line the scissors type is available for $35, from India, delivery in three weeks. I wanted it now. The first knurling tool I had was a two cutter push type. My project involves knurling a 3/8 aluminum tube with a .030 wall. I figured the push type knurler would mash the tube before I got a good knurl.
I pulled the two cutters from the original tool ($4.95 from China, not worth the free postage) and made my own scissors type. It isn't complete, I need a adjusting knob, but the nut I'm using works.
This isn't pretty, but it works a treat.

Tool and  work.jpg

The lower sample is the piece to be duplicated, the upper is my prototype. I wasn't comfortable sliding the knurl along the tube, that'll be the next advance. The knurl is better than I had expected from the Chinese cutters.

Subsequent to my attempt at tiny thumb screws, I decided I needed a new knurling tool. On-line the scissors type is available for $35, from India, delivery in three weeks. I wanted it now. The first knurling tool I had was a two cutter push type. My project involves knurling a 3/8 aluminum tube with a .030 wall. I figured the push type knurler would mash the tube before I got a good knurl.
I pulled the two cutters from the original tool ($4.95 from China, not worth the free postage) and made my own scissors type. It isn't complete, I need a adjusting knob, but the nut I'm using works.
This isn't pretty, but it works a treat.

View attachment 141623

The lower sample is the piece to be duplicated, the upper is my prototype. I wasn't comfortable sliding the knurl along the tube, that'll be the next advance. The knurl is better than I had expected from the Chinese cutters.
That's a nice tool ! Do you have basic plans for it , and link to the china part you pulled cutters from ? The knurls look good !

! Do you have basic plans for it , and link to the china part you pulled cutters from

No plans, I copied an illustration from an Ebay ad, then copied the tool. Here's a link to a tool that resembles the one I sacrificed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACHINIST-T...768934?hash=item2cb73cb0a6:g:WDIAAOSw44BYUI9A,
The end is supposed to rock to allow the rolls to 'float' a little, it was so crappy it wouldn't move.
I did plan the location of the pivot holes so that the most meat was bearing on the pivots.
But any two cutter tool would do, the cheaper the better. I thought to look at my cutters under a 10 loupe, it was all round bumps, can't believe it did that good a job.
I used the pins that came with the tool, they were 214, I drilled the mounting holes to .213, then chucked up the 214 pins and with a stone polished about a thou off, and drove them in the holes. The pivot pins for the other end of the 'arms' were a 1/4 dowel pin, cut to 3/8 length with a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool

No plans, I copied an illustration from an Ebay ad, then copied the tool. Here's a link to a tool that resembles the one I sacrificed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACHINIST-T...768934?hash=item2cb73cb0a6:g:WDIAAOSw44BYUI9A,
The end is supposed to rock to allow the rolls to 'float' a little, it was so crappy it wouldn't move.
I did plan the location of the pivot holes so that the most meat was bearing on the pivots.
But any two cutter tool would do, the cheaper the better. I thought to look at my cutters under a 10 loupe, it was all round bumps, can't believe it did that good a job.
I used the pins that came with the tool, they were 214, I drilled the mounting holes to .213, then chucked up the 214 pins and with a stone polished about a thou off, and drove them in the holes. The pivot pins for the other end of the 'arms' were a 1/4 dowel pin, cut to 3/8 length with a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool

Not "any cheap" cutter will work. I purchased a Chinese scissor style knurling tool and one of the cutters was soft. First time I used it the bad wheel ended up smooth. Needless to say the knurl didnt look too great.

Back