2016 POTD Thread Archive

My old BMW has the typical failing wheel bearing noise while driving except it doesn't change while turning. This summer I was refinishing the CV joints (both axles removed from the car) and while spinning the diff I thought I found the noise. I pulled the diff and tore it down, just finished getting all the bearings, races, seals out yesterday. I definitely found the source of the noise! Here is one of the pinion bearings, the other pinion bearing is the same:

7165.jpg

7166.jpg

Made some progress on my Tormach riser fixture plate. I made one for our Haas at work and its worked out so well I wanted one for home.

The haas setup
63e8760c72517ed66d8f178fbeb19744.jpg
My Tormach sized design
21efa2a5ad52d2d5c1ed3c79929b027b.jpg
Made the standoffs
ad77f430dd8aa282bc590cc0f59f7f22.jpg
Working on mounting feet design
35819eedc61c161694fc2133a083a430.jpg
Stock ready waiting for the NC prog
1361451dab8f029db0e264d340a3a3ba.jpg
Nice work... Looks good!!!

My old BMW has the typical failing wheel bearing noise while driving except it doesn't change while turning. This summer I was refinishing the CV joints (both axles removed from the car) and while spinning the diff I thought I found the noise. I pulled the diff and tore it down, just finished getting all the bearings, races, seals out yesterday. I definitely found the source of the noise! Here is one of the pinion bearings, the other pinion bearing is the same:

I would say you definitely found your issue. Be sure you follow assembly instructions to the letter. Haven't done any BMW stuff, but plenty of 9" and others, and it's not something where close is good enough. Hope it all goes smoothly. Mike

I would say you definitely found your issue. Be sure you follow assembly instructions to the letter. Haven't done any BMW stuff, but plenty of 9" and others, and it's not something where close is good enough. Hope it all goes smoothly. Mike

Thanks Mike. This is my first diff and I'm definitely taking it slow and deliberate. It's a basic open diff and so far everything has gone perfectly well. I better not have just jinxed myself. I still have to finish cleaning the case before painting the old parts, then onto reassembly. I have no timeline since the car is parked for the winter, so really the longer this takes the better since it keeps me busy. I spent the better part of my free time this past year finishing the basement workshop so I could do things like this in the winter. I've been in heaven this past month despite the frigid temps outside!

Little project to hold my indicators on the lathe, I use to either use a magnetic base or have my Noga arm directly clamped in a tool holder. It was awkward and always took some time to adjust. Machined a 3/4" thick block of aluminum with a 1/2" step in the holder to attache my dial indicator so it is always on center and square to my work. It is adjustable for moving the dial indicator back for large diameter work. Also bored an 8mm hole for the Noga arm in the back so a test indicator can be used, all the locking screws on the holder/block use the same size Allen key. A little vinyl naugahyde on the top of the block cushions the gauge when mounting and levels it. There is a little standoff for the dial gauge and a wave washer under the Allen head to prevent it from loosing. I was rechecking my 5C set-Tru chuck, and noticed a bit of wobble at 5" out even though it was fine at the chuck. Interestingly, I found that over tightening the four centering Allen screws would skew the chuck. So I only used moderate torque on them with much better results and then cinched the chuck to the back plate.
20161218_150201.jpg
20161218_124559.jpg
20161218_124518.jpg

Back