2016 POTD Thread Archive

Nice machining on the flywheel weight, does the added mass not need to be balanced though.

Greg

The OD of the flywheel is actually stamped not machined so it has a significant amount of run out. The drilled holes and balance weight welded to the OD are actually there only to compensate for the run out on an otherwise neutral balance flywheel. Since my weight is machined and has no run out is naturally neutral balanced. This is common practice on lots of big single cylinder bike engines.

I've had to balance symmetrically machined components on several occasions. The only explanation I can come up with is that mild steel isn't that homogeneous, which might explain why some areas machine nicer than others. Here is a sanding disk I made, its 16 inches in dia and spins at 1800 rpm. The first time I spun it up the sander danced across the floor. The drilled holes were required to get a static balance.
2-PIfh6DYWGOrB_TWQggejIyaeLAWj4qTEsvmZN9pGFaUtKil2_71xqPE59Ud8fv2QQTU4uUh7oFRwHMvQ=w811-h1224-no.jpg
Greg

I made a tap for the hot water for the new washing machine that should arrive tomorrow. The washer I'm replacing didn't require hot water (heated it own), so I didn't plumb for it 25 years ago when I installed them.
I was happy to use a Shark fitting so I didn't have to solder the standing pipe. The white wire is to keep the joint from sagging.
Sharkbite fittings don't leak, but they allow the pipe to spin in the connection. I have no idea how they do that.

hot water out_0967.JPG

Last edited:
I've had to balance symmetrically machined components on several occasions. The only explanation I can come up with is that mild steel isn't that homogeneous, which might explain why some areas machine nicer than others. Here is a sanding disk I made, its 16 inches in dia and spins at 1800 rpm. The first time I spun it up the sander danced across the floor. The drilled holes were required to get a static balance.
2-PIfh6DYWGOrB_TWQggejIyaeLAWj4qTEsvmZN9pGFaUtKil2_71xqPE59Ud8fv2QQTU4uUh7oFRwHMvQ=w811-h1224-no.jpg
Greg
That's interesting Greg, I never considered that possibility. I have no way to check the balance at the speeds this engine is capable of. I'll be sure to let the owner know there may be a balance problem. I will let you know how it turns out.

John

I was certainly surprised with that disk John. It runs true and was faced front and back to give an equal thickness.

Greg

I may try checking the static balance if I have time before he picks it up.
Static balance will help, As most steel I have worked with seems to be heavier on one side that the other. Even engine stuff for cars etc all seem to need some kind of balance. Like John did just small drill spots to take a little away then re check it

Made a flat plate to hold parts horizontal, good use for a bunch of these 3/4" Alum plates I have . I made the part , then I realized I could modify it to hold some saw blades I wanted to enlarge the arbor.
This Ryobi blade was the guinea pig . I indicated it to dead center then used first a 1/2" carbide APKT1003 end mill , then 5/8 , then 3/4, then 1" APKT1003 and then the boring head til the arbor just slipped in tight .
Saw blades are TOUGH STUFF ! The Alum plate had a big bevel on one side , did a build up weld on that , then welded in some gussets into the C channel steel base .
Squared up and faced the C channel on 4 sides, faced the Alum plate , drilled, countersunk and bolted together. Tapping the alum was a pita ...very gummy stuff . All part of the learning process
-----------------------------------------------------------
1Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 01Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 001Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 2Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 3Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 4Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 5Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 6Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 7Pallet4CircSaws.jpg 8Pallet4CircSaws.jpg

with each thing I build I realize i've got alot to learn. I figure I might as well build something while im learning...no shortage of mistakes and realizations !

Last edited:
I gotta stop logging on hahaha. You guys are killing me with all this cool stuff, man I miss working in the shop. Keep it coming as this helps my motivation to get through my tortuous Physical Therapy.
Keep turning and burning guys.
Happy New Year to all!:beer mugs:
Paco

Back