2016 POTD Thread Archive

Have had my horizontal bandsaw for a few years, and always had problems cutting short pieces of stock near the blade. It was exacerbated when trying to cut an angle in stock. There is also the problem when you clamped short stock the clamping vise plate would twist so the piece was not held by parallel vise plates. Finally got around to fixing the issue, I milled four 1/4" deep slots in some 1/2" aluminum plate to allow lateral adjustment of the plates. I use four button head 3/8-24 screws with thin SS washers to hold the aluminum plates to each vice surface. This give me an additional 2" to move the plates toward the blade when doing angle work. I also tapped four 3/8-16 holes in the plates for an adjustment stop that I machined from a 5" SS carriage bolt. The stop is set to the same thickness as the stock that I am cutting, and prevents the vise plates from twisting when clamping small stock. The plates are symmetrical so they can be flipped or used on the opposite face. Works very nicely, and is easily removed if needed.
20161231_120743.jpg
20161231_120500.jpg20161231_120553.jpg

Last edited:
MKSJ,
I need to do the same thing for my Bandsaw.
Just another thing on the "to do list".
List just keeps getting longer and longer. :grin:

Have had my horizontal bandsaw for a few years, and always had problems cutting short pieces of stock near the blade. It was exacerbated when trying to cut an angle in stock. There is also the problem when you clamped short stock the clamping vise plate would twist so the piece was not held by parallel vise plates. Finally got around to fixing the issue, I milled four 1/4" deep slots in some 1/2" aluminum plate to allow lateral adjustment of the plates. I use four button head 3/8-24 screws with thin SS washers to hold the aluminum plates to each vice surface. This give me an additional 2" to move the plates toward the blade when doing angle work. I also tapped four 3/8-16 holes in the plates for an adjustment stop that I machined from a 5" SS carriage bolt. The stop is set to the same thickness as the stock that I am cutting, and prevents the vise plates from twisting when clamping small stock. The plates are symmetrical so they can be flipped or used on the opposite face. Works very nicely, and is easily removed if needed.
View attachment 142650
View attachment 142655View attachment 142652

I have been lamenting my bandsaw every time I need to cut a small item. I will be making something very similar very soon! Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came up with a different solution for holding short stock in the saw. I had a machinist vice my uncle made in trade school in the 50's, I'd never had a need for it, bolted it to a piece of plate to grab in the saw vice. Works like a charm. I've been using it for years but its amazing how often I'll release the saw vice to remove stock from the small one. lol

efndJYZPQwFYIVeyBVH4N1R8AzL4k3v_c446hX0H7yY8tweOF6wPv_NRAPL_Sq8QmASoRSzS7hR5WHSzf=w1632-h1224-no.jpg

Greg

Short stuff is always a challenge. I have often looked at my 14" dry cut saw (DW872) and thought about some kind of part holding fixture. The saw makes short work of anything you can throw at it ...but anything shorter than about 3-4" is a challenge !

I came up with a different solution for holding short stock in the saw. I had a machinist vice my uncle made in trade school in the 50's, I'd never had a need for it, bolted it to a piece of plate to grab in the saw vice. Works like a charm. I've been using it for years but its amazing how often I'll release the saw vice to remove stock from the small one. lol
efndJYZPQwFYIVeyBVH4N1R8AzL4k3v_c446hX0H7yY8tweOF6wPv_NRAPL_Sq8QmASoRSzS7hR5WHSzf=w1632-h1224-no.jpg
Greg

Great idea Greg, but wouldn't work to well in my 4x6.

Now that my "hack job" mini pallet is done , time to install some Carbide . Tungsten Carbide tipped stud tires that is...... gettin ready for first ride of the year tomorrow . yeah , it's off topic . Happy New Year all !
----------------------------------------------------------------
StudTires.jpg

Works like a charm. I've been using it for years but its amazing how often I'll release the saw vice to remove stock from the small one. lol

Pretty hard to retrain the old brain sometimes. I can commiserate with you on that one. Mike

Many others have mounted one of those 100 mm HALO/Angel Eyes lights on their mill spindles. Here's my install. Bought a pair of the lights off eBay for under $13. Used an old 13.5V transformer from the junk drawer for power.

My mill is a Jet JVM-830, rotating spindle diameter is about 3.5", fixed spindle area is about 4.4". Just so happens a 4" (maybe it's 5"?) PVC drain cap OD is just larger than the mill, so it was my material of choice.

Started by chucking up the drain cap and faced off the flange to depth. Plan was to press fit the drain cap on the mill and clip the LED light to the cap with the integral 3 snaps. I also wanted the rotating portion of the spindle to be below the light & mounting bracket so an indicator could still be mounted to the spindle.

Flipped the cap and bored a hole around 3.6" diameter to clear the rotating spindle. Then used a boring bar with a grooving tool mounted as a turning tool to cut a relief groove for the LED light. Transferred the location of the 3 snap tabs on the light to the mounting bracket/drain cap and milled 1/8" wide slots for the snaps. Bored the inside diameter of the drain cap to about 0.005" smaller than the mill spindle for a press fit.

It works great! Still have to make a mounting bracket for an ON/OFF switch will get mounted to the DRO swing arm.

Bruce

20161231_110904.jpg 20161231_111933.jpg 20161231_114014.jpg 20161231_115936.jpg 20161231_121209.jpg 20161231_121318.jpg 20161231_121356.jpg 20161231_121436.jpg 20161231_121710.jpg

Last edited:
Back