2016 POTD Thread Archive

No expert, but for first time out that looks pretty good to me. Mike

The next video in my bench grinder set-up series is up for those that have been following along. It took a little longer than expected thanks to old man winter freezing me out of the shop for a little while.

Installed a heat recovery air exchanger in the shop. A friend bought it 20 years ago when he built and never installed it. Hoping it will handle the dust and smoke I create. I've installed an extra air filter on the inlet, which I may spray with Pam to help catch the fines before they enter the air exchanger. The air exchanger in this one is aluminum and massive compared to the one I put in the house. Will be interesting to see how well it cleans the air. Too cold to have the doors open right now and in the hot humid weather I can't open the doors or I get condensation on all the machines.
IMG_2033.jpg

Greg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Installed a heat recovery air exchanger in the shop. A friend bought it 20 years ago when he built and never installed it. Hoping it will handle the dust and smoke I create. I've installed an extra air filter on the inlet, which I may spray with Pam to help catch the fines before they enter the air exchanger. The air exchanger in this one is aluminum and massive compared to the one I put in the house. Will be interesting to see how well it cleans the air. Too cold to have the doors open right now and in the hot humid weather I can't open the doors or I get condensation on all the machines.

Greg
Love the gantry crane!!!!
R

I need to broach a keyway inside a 12mm hole in an aluminium disk.
As I will be using the lathe for this job (dont have anything else) I need a method of locking the chuck on my 9x20.
If I'm going to make a chuck lock why not a full blown indexer for it.
Heres the bits for holding the change gears to the end of the spindle, note how small the taper on the end of the bolt it, I can hold the gear with my fingers and it tightens up with no slip easily.
gear-expanding-mandrel.jpg
I cut the keyway like this
cutting-external-keyway.jpg
I chose to use a sprung pin similar to the one for the lead screw shaft but smaller dia.
index-pin.jpg
The spring is stainless fishing tracer and it wound a bit tight on the former, when I applied an un-wind twist it kinked but it still works.
Assembled
gear-mandrel.jpg
Note the skewed slots in the expanding mandrel, cut with an angle grinder.
Still have to machine the end of the pin to fit the gear valleys and make the bracket to hold it firmly to the lathe. The bracket will be an easily removed one with a sliding holder for the pin so different sized change gears can be used.
It should all fit something like this, the 12mm x 1.25mm thread was single point cut.
pin-and-gear.jpg
There is a major problem with all this ------ I will have to make a tool post grinder/drill so I can use it for other projects.:grin:

Last edited:
Back