2016 POTD Thread Archive

Lol I told my wife about perpetual motion, that's how people end up disappeared. Remember the guy who made an engine run on water? Well he gone now lol

Made a indicator holder from a casting kit from Model Lathe Engineering (MLA-8).

mla8.jpg

My lathe doesn't have a DRO and probably never will, so for precision X movement I usually use a Shar's magnetic-backed dial indicator reading off the saddle. It works great, but sometimes it would have been nice to have the extra movement a 2" indicator provides. Unfortunately, I found that using a magnetic back on this indicator doesn't work well because the long stem interferes with the lathe's gear box.

Of course I could have made an indicator holder from flat stock, but I've wanted to get more practice with casting kits and thought that this holder would be perfect to dedicate to the 2" indicator.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-8.html

It's a simple casting that's perfect for the beginner. Mistakes were made, but in the end it came out well enough to do the job as it fits the lathe perfectly without any indicator interference.

If you like castings you should check-out MLA's other kits, especially if you have a small South Bend. The owner, Mr Lofquist, is very friendly and helpful.

The axis movement is Z for the carriage, cross-feed is X.
Nice job tho, I've been working on a carriage stop for awhile now, need a little motivation for personal tooling buids

Made a indicator holder from a casting kit from Model Lathe Engineering (MLA-8).

View attachment 120494

My lathe doesn't have a DRO and probably never will, so for precision X movement I usually use a Shar's magnetic-backed dial indicator reading off the saddle. It works great, but sometimes it would have been nice to have the extra movement a 2" indicator provides. Unfortunately, I found that using a magnetic back on this indicator doesn't work well because the long stem interferes with the lathe's gear box.

Of course I could have made an indicator holder from flat stock, but I've wanted to get more practice with casting kits and thought that this holder would be perfect to dedicate to the 2" indicator.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-8.html

It's a simple casting that's perfect for the beginner. Mistakes were made, but in the end it came out well enough to do the job as it fits the lathe perfectly without any indicator interference.

If you like castings you should check-out MLA's other kits, especially if you have a small South Bend. The owner, Mr Lofquist, is very friendly and helpful.

Nice job. I made a soft stop for my PM1340GT about a year and a half ago and use it alot. Works great and is always right there and handy.

Mike.

Back