2016 POTD Thread Archive

Mark, I think your statement goes to the old argument that mig like tig beads aren't strong, they are pretty but weak, BS, lol, IF done correctly they are just as strong or stronger than "proper" mig beads, just ask any desert off road frame builder, mainly a man who goes by ZTFab, over on weldingweb, he is one of the best mig like tig welders in the world, and his welds are subjected to extreme abuse of desert race trucks, and they don't fail. A well trained eye can spot a cold weld, that is why it is so important to know how to set the machine for the technique, so you are burning a hot enough arc to get proper penetraition, which plays into wire speed, which will ALWAYS slower than what the panel says for a given thickness, the novice need not make those welds and expect to put them into service where there could be danger, you must be able to read the puddle, you have to know what is going on, listen to the arc, the weld is literally speaking to you, as well as giving you instructions on what to do, the key is knowing how to read the cards

And just to throw it out there, Jody is a good welder, but he can't mig like tig, or mig the stack of dimes like a super pro, he self admits that in his videos

Not today, or yesterday, but over the last few months, I took on two projects in my workshop. First up was a three point nose hitch, to carry a 1200 liter sprayer tank on my tractor. These are not available locally and are imported from France at a ridiculous price. Although mine doesn't sport hydraulic cylinders like the imported one, the height can be manually adjusted by two top links and it works 100%:

Hitch 2.JPG Hitch 1.JPG

Hitch 3.JPG

My second project was to build myself a ripper which we use to wet rip our corn, to a depth of about 400mm. I bought the ripper teeth, depth control wheels and hitching pins and built the rest. Like my front end hitch, it works like magic. Now that it's been tested, I'm taking it apart to paint it:

Ripper 1.JPG

Ripper 2.JPG

Ripper 3.JPG

Ripper 4.jpg

Great solutions on your attachments. How much land do you farm there? Mike

Thanks Mike. Yeah, buying these would have cost me R130 000 in our money and I built them for around half that. The satisfaction that I get is priceless though.
We farm 180 ha center pivots, on which we grow corn and wheat and also 18 500 ha extensive farmland, on which we keep cattle and sheep.
My workshop mainly serves the irrigation part of the business. I fix or make just about everything, using my lathe and mill and they paid for themselves within the first year after I purchased them.

And, I love working in my workshop and on my machines. Just wish I had more time for that.

That's definitely a possibility, but a few coats of polyurethane would look good and address the moisture issue. You could pour some directly into the holes and let it soak in good and thoroughly coat the sides with a small brush . Mike
Rather late here, but I just have to point out that this would result in a plastic resting place, contrary to his stated objective. ;)

I didn't make this work stop but a local machine shop owner made me a couple
20160128_075634.jpg

i made a pan/tilt head for when my kid played basket ball...had hydraulic deadeners on both ends ..urethane cushions to recenter the tilt...all ball bearing...videos cam out smooth as butter..

way smaller than my big pro video heads..take up about 10 seats..lol

Back