2016 POTD Thread Archive

HiGreg,
Anytime I cut on the CNC plasma, if the piece requires any cuts to the inside portion, I program them to cut first then the perimeter as the piece can sometimes shift or drop a bit resulting in spoilage. Thought I would share. I'm sure someone enjoyed your gift.

Normally the software does that but for some reason on this one it wanted to cut the outside first and it wouldn't let me change the order. Probably could have done it with more effort but figured if it shifted a bit it wouldn't really matter, was the thought that was going to count. On a side note, my drafting software is ancient, how ever it handles letters, they don't show up when you generate a cut path, had to draw these in using circles and straight lines.

Greg

spent an hour or so this morning re setting the tailstock alignment on my 10x22 King lathe after finding that it was out by 1 thou total, Made a test bar and turned it between centers. After a couple of wild fluctuations, I managed to get it settled out @ (headstock end) 2.2206" and (tailstock end) 2.2207" I don't think I can get it any closer! Not that I can measure anyway. Those measurements are at 12" apart. All in all a good morning in the shop!

Not much done today. Just made up a stabilizer for a compound bow. 6061 aluminum for the body and some SS scrap for the 5/6-24 mounting stud. I made the front of it removable and plan on making some replacment caps that are lead filled to play around with weights. We will see how it works lol

image.jpeg

One of my best stabilizers is like this..

a rod inside a tube with urethane buffer /red

1.jpg

Just confirmed that I don't know squat about stabilizers haha. Well hopefully it at least sort of works. If not, then I have a little decoration for the reloading bench.

View attachment 122792 Nothing much, made a holder with my Grandson for some loose rotary tool bits that I had lying around.
He is 11 y old and did most of the machining by himself on an x2 mill. Most of the mistakes are mine. Tend to get slack with wood and was properly berated for it.
Hope this little post of his skill will inspire him and make use of my tools when I join the choir invisible.
John

I like the projects done with the younger generation(s) the best of all. Top honors from me to both of you.

The organizer will serve him well, for a lifetime. He'll think well of you every time he touches it.

Priceless.

Bob, my first thought was that looks kind of tall. But then I thought about it, it save more vertical space, and puts the controls right at eye level. That earns it a big thumbs up! It also looks great. fine job.
I am very interested in how you end up liking that welder.

It looked a little tall to me as well Mark. I think the original design was to hold the tig, the water cooler and the third shelf for an additional machine like a plasma cutter.
Mark

Back