2016 POTD Thread Archive

Over the last couple of nights I have been fabricating/machining the components for a Watts link for our coach.

Watts link pivot plate, H-frame clamps, rod ends and some scrap 1"x.095" DOM tubing for the links and some 1" 1095 steel to machine the threaded weld-in bungs.
9kx9a0.jpg

5/8"-18 rod ends that I procured from McMaster Carr.
2ivohf4.jpg

Quick drawing for weld-in threaded bungs.
2aeph5s.jpg

Machining the threaded bungs.
f9jnvb.jpg

Making progress.
rbilqh.jpg

One completed the others ready for their last machining step, the taper. More for cosmetics than anything at this point. I don't know why, no one will ever see them up under the front suspension of the coach.
2pttfmr.jpg

All bungs completed and the ready for welding into the 1"x.095" DOM tubing.
2wolr9i.jpg

Mike.

9kx9a0.jpg

9kx9a0.jpg

9kx9a0.jpg

2ivohf4.jpg

2ivohf4.jpg

2ivohf4.jpg

2aeph5s.jpg

2aeph5s.jpg

2aeph5s.jpg

f9jnvb.jpg

f9jnvb.jpg

f9jnvb.jpg

rbilqh.jpg

rbilqh.jpg

rbilqh.jpg

2pttfmr.jpg

2pttfmr.jpg

2pttfmr.jpg

2wolr9i.jpg

2wolr9i.jpg

2wolr9i.jpg

9kx9a0.jpg

2ivohf4.jpg

2aeph5s.jpg

f9jnvb.jpg

rbilqh.jpg

2pttfmr.jpg

2wolr9i.jpg

9kx9a0.jpg

2ivohf4.jpg

2aeph5s.jpg

f9jnvb.jpg

rbilqh.jpg

2pttfmr.jpg

2wolr9i.jpg

You guys have tools that I can only dream of and drool over. :beguiled:

I've been hard at work the past couple days. Just cleaning things up and trying to get to a place where I can actually work on projects. I don't even have time to take photos or post. But I have been reading this thread. It's interesting to see what everyone is doing. You guys are making me jealous, or both your machines and your skills.

I did plane down 300 railroad ties yesterday though on my old rusty 12-inch Craftsman planer. That thing is as old as the hills. I've replaced the bearings in it twice already. I didn't bother taking a picture of the planing process because I didn't think anyone would want to see an old rusty planer. By the way the "railroad ties" are only G-scale ties so it's not like I was pushing the real thing through a 12 inch planer. Actually they're still just long stripes of wood yet. I just planed them down to 1/2" square because I need to them to all be precisely the same height for my tracking-building process. In any case, I might take a photo of them at some point if I can ever find the time. I realize this is "woodworking" but it's still "machining". These ties are precisely .505" by the way. Yep, you can actually work within .005" with wood if you really want to. Probably even closer than that. How many woodworkers do you see miking things up with a pair of dial calipers? But I really wanted all these ties to be as close as possible to the same size.

I gotta go cut firewood now. Darn it! I wanna play some more!

If I may ask, what is a "Watts link" and what is it used for? o_O

Watts link is a suspension component used to keep the suspension centered under a vehicle, much like a panhard bar but allows more vertical travel whereas a panhard bar moves up and down in an arc, the Watts does a better job of keeping the components centered. My coach has a panhard bar at the rear of the suspension but I want to improve the design by building a Watts link for the front of the H-frame.

Mike.

Not machining but laboring for the lathe so ok. Just finished the 4th round of bondo (aka filler) smoothing the weld joints that are on flat surfaces. Tired of sanding already and still have to do the primer next. Getting closer to spraying the color, a mix of some leftover silver and enough black to make a medium gray metallic. A tubing frame must be the hardest thing to spray paint there is. Hard to access many of the areas with a gun and the air hose but I keep telling myself that it's just a lathe stand, not a car, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Not machining but laboring for the lathe so ok. Just finished the 4th round of bondo (aka filler) smoothing the weld joints that are on flat surfaces. Tired of sanding already and still have to do the primer next. Getting closer to spraying the color, a mix of some leftover silver and enough black to make a medium gray metallic. A tubing frame must be the hardest thing to spray paint there is. Hard to access many of the areas with a gun and the air hose but I keep telling myself that it's just a lathe stand, not a car, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

This lathe stand is now on my list as well Dan. I have a few other items/projects to finish up and then I hope to get mine done.

Thanks for the idea (or kick in the butt to get going on it).

Mike.

I just use the Cheap HF Powder Coat system and it makes it easier.
Even on round pipe.
It gets sucked to every corner and crevice on whatever you're painting.

Back