2016 POTD Thread Archive

Agree with Mike above, probably easiest to shim it if needed when you mount the lathe. One could use a precision level to measure one plate relative to the other X Y planes, that is all that matters and I am sure your base is a lot closer then the factory ones. You also could induce some axial twist to the cabinet if needed by tweaking the leveling feet. You did a great job on the stand build. Look forward to seeing it finished and up and running.

Finally figured out how to make a thread with my lathe
IMG_0504.jpg
Pictured are the previous attempts, with the final one with the nut on it on the right. With a victory coffee.
Things figured out:
-don't use the cheap steel rods from home depot, particularly for anything with fine detail
-regularly check that the shear pin for the thread screw hasn't sheared...it could still move the saddle, but would sometimes shift sideways or rotate and goodbye threads.
-HSS bit does a nice job for threads...have to still figure out why my carbide-tipped tools would break off their tips [also before I figured out the shear pin problem, so it might have been the occasional cut that was way to deep due to the random threading offset]
-have to remember to take the lateral backlash when starting each pass, as the lathe doesn't manage to consistently do it the same amount each time

I made a ball hitch for my tractor front end loader, pics on request :cool:

Quick pic from request
I made it stick out so I could see the ball

View attachment 123490Pic got kinda cut off , but you get the idea

This is for backing in empty trailers, I have one on the 3point box blade for loaded trailers
Does is clamp on or is an there a hole it bolts through?

Looks good.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Back