2016 POTD Thread Archive

Started by making a nice little ratcheting wrench attachment for my tailstock nut.
Turned down an 11/16 socket and then turned the nub off a cheapy dollar store ratchet handle.

Fit just right in the space available.

Then i needed to spot weld the flattened socket to the ratchet handle.

At that point i discovered what looked like a metal ratchet selctor was actually plastic as it globbed its way out of the ratchet head........o_O

Gutted, i finished off by making some exhaust stud spacers for the exhaust flanges on my motorcycle.

At least the day ended somewhat productively.....

Last edited:
Another vise restoration. This is a 1940s Parker utility vise. Saved from the scrap yard.
Originally the spindle was held in place by a spot welded washer at the dynamic jaw. This was done at the factory. I removed the welds and was able to set it up in
my mill to cut a groove in its place for an e-clip.

PARKER 63.5A.jpg PARKER 63.5 SPINDLE RETAINER.jpg PARKER 63.5A.jpg PARKER 63.5E.jpg

Mark,

Is the "63.5" on the side of the vise the metric equivalent for 2 1/2" vise jaws?

Cool vise.

Another vise restoration. This is a 1940s Parker utility vise. Saved from the scrap yard.
Originally the spindle was held in place by a spot welded washer at the dynamic jaw. This was done at the factory. I removed the welds and was able to set it up in
my mill to cut a groove in its place for an e-clip.

View attachment 123586 View attachment 123587 View attachment 123588 View attachment 123589

Sweet ! That thing looks like it's going 80 mph standing still.

View attachment 123559 View attachment 123559 I guess that this will work in the POTD. Every time one of these handles break, I make a new one. This is number 3. I bought this nice little lathe at a yard sale for $15. The handles aren't exactly pretty, but they are a lot stronger and much easier on the hands.

Wait- you bought the lathe for $15?

You're a thief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of aluminum even plastic for the handles on those clamps. But I needed and excuse to use that wood lathe.

Wait- you bought the lathe for $15?

You're a thief!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mzayd3. You're right. When I saw that lathe, I pulled out my wallet faster than any quick draw gun slinger. I asked the guy why he was selling it. And he said that he just got the lathe and try to make a bowl. Most likely the bowl blew up on him and scared him. He should have started with something simple. I guess that is a lesson to all of us.

Is this the lock down bolt for the tail stock ? Man that would be nicer than lifting the wrench every turn.

Back