2016 POTD Thread Archive

hman,
I love those copper jaws. I've never thought to use fittings as raw stock like that. I'll try to keep it in mind.
Thanks for posting.

Make copper "protectors" to slip over chuck jaws in much the same way. Slit lengthwise, spread and slide over the jaws.

pete

John, nice work on the jaws. I have been thinking I need a set and now I know how to make them.

Techie, That drill press looks like new. Great job reconditioning it.

:applause:

I found myself needing a couple of saw arbors for my ShopSmith, and wanted to reduce the arbor size to .625 for my new blades [much cheaper than 1 .250 or whatever the early M500 series used]. Rather than search Ebay, Amazon, and other outlets, I decided to fabricate my own and refresh my threading abilities. Turned out OK using an RF31 mill and my SB Heavy 10.

The squiggly hair on the right piece was courtesy of one of the cats.

NEWSAWARBOR01_zpsbfybndw3.jpg

I found myself needing a couple of saw arbors for my ShopSmith, and wanted to reduce the arbor size to .625 for my new blades [much cheaper than 1 .250 or whatever the early M500 series used]. Rather than search Ebay, Amazon, and other outlets, I decided to fabricate my own and refresh my threading abilities. Turned out OK using an RF31 mill and my SB Heavy 10.

Nice job. It looks like you heat treated and quenched in oil. Did you draw down the temper? What grade was the steel used? You should draw down the hardness or the pieces will be very brittle if you used a high carbon/alloy steel.

Unless you're bald, you shouldn't blame the cats!

finally found the one part i lost track a few days ago..so this morning i got my saw h band set up with a hydraulic drop..

IMG_8600.JPG IMG_8601.JPG

I didn't heat treat them jrstretch - just a little left over gun blue paste and some oil. I think it was cold roll. The labels have long worn off my stock pile of metals....

Back