2017 POTD Thread Archive

double post

Last edited:
That's exactly what I tried doing first. After the third failure I gave up. Looks like you had much better success than I.
How about using a socket wrench hex socket of the desired size, turn or mill it down and press or weld or locktite or all three at once into a simple round hole in the tool?
Hard faces and if you use a decent grade socket and could be just about any depth desired.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Nice job on the mount. did you put a grease zerk in there? If not it will eventually look like the old one. Mike

Going to put 2 in, actually. Forgot before shooting the primer, but yep. The maint guys at this place seem to be pretty good on lube, as long as they have a place. They use this to load one of the two tub grinders (HogZilla http://hogzilla.com/ ) they have. The old repair didn't last long, naturally with it running dry.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks Jake......they have a lot of this kind of work there. It's a pretty major operation. They have stuff I will need a much larger lathe for, and the owner is an old friend who kind of called out of the blue. And he has a 48" swing lathe in storage. I'll have to pour a little concrete to keep up with his needs. Had to tuen away part of it already. A couple of cylinders to rebuild off another digger. No way to handle them, and machines aren't quite large enough. Plus I'm still more crippled than not, so I have to work a little and rest, leaning on a cane or something after a while. Amazing how fast and how much muscles atrophy.

Oh, and probably getting a little Yale lift from him. Too small for anything they do, and it's just sitting outside ruining. Propane powered 2500 lb, so it will fit in the door. For now anyway. If I add on or move, I'll go bigger. But that's if I want to commit to getting back into more business. Kinda like the semi-retirement I've had the last few years. A lot to think about before I do commit.

I turned this pile of parts
View attachment 143531

Into this weldment. It's for a CAT 320E bucket claw
View attachment 143532 View attachment 143534

To replace this. There is no sleeve on this poor repair, and the holes are worn out about 1/4" egged oversize.

View attachment 143535 View attachment 143536

The pin shouldn't be able to move in that section of the linkage. Normally the bushings are in the moving link arms and the pin is stationary (fixed) in any other bore. A good way to slow down the "egging wear" is to increase the bearing surfaces on the weldment you made. A common way to do that is to add collars to the plates before boring the final hole. Look at the plate thickness of the yellow link arms compared to the weldment you built. At a minimum they should be as thick, both for strength and bearing area. Not saying you did it wrong as you duplicated the original part but it wasn't well designed to begin with.

My background: Worked as a design engineer for Wagner Mining Equipment for 13 years. Designed loaders for under ground mining and I am very familiar with Cat designs.

Dan, what I built more or less replicated what the previous mechanic built. I have no idea what the original design was. For some reason I had it in my head that the claw/rake had its own cylinder and actually pivoted on that pin. In actuality, this installation has a fixed claw/rake, so there will be no pivoting motion at all. All I did was add a length of tubing between the "ears" of what was already there and restored a closer fit. I spread the load out because of the tubing, but since there is no rotation, I can't see much wear from movement, only from being pushed around as they rake with it. They simply close up the bucket to pinch a load of brush and wood to load the Hogzilla. It well may be that at one time there was a cylinder that articulated that claw, but it has been removed. I do not know the history of the machine.

On most machines the "thumb" is articulated. Most likely a shop modification. Whenever you can it's good to see the whole setup so you figure out what works best, but often it doesn't work out that way. Mike

Back