2017 POTD Thread Archive

Great Idea.
I had to freehand mine, I drilled the corner holes, bored it out to the larges diameter and whittled on it with a 1/8 end mill. I'm awaiting a Rotary Table to finish the OD.

View attachment 143443
That's exactly what I tried doing first. After the third failure I gave up. Looks like you had much better success than I.

No nothing fancy. Started out as a cheap Menards holder. Made a mandrel to hold it in the lathe and just turned it down. Then made the holder so it would fit into my current round die holder. View attachment 143420

Well done always more than one way to skin a cat, I like the lateral thinking and repurposing of stuff.

My parents had a home like this when they lived in Eastern PA. 2 decades ago, solid concrete slap with hot water pipes running through it. Even in the dead of winter the floor was nice and warm, so you could always be in socks or bare feet.

Yes, that's what I have concrete slab with 19mm plastic pipes et in the concrete about 1 - 11/2" below the top surface just under the top steel mesh and tied to the steel mesh the water is heated by an enclosed wood burning combustion heater with a water jacket on both side and the back so it heats a lot of water, this supplies all the hot water for the house kitchen bathrooms and laundry, plus the underfloor heating, I ran the pipes into the garage about 1/3rd in on the house side where my shop area is. This system is not common here in Australia because we don't have much cold weather. middle of winter typically 5 - 10c. Never below freezing. But I think it's worth every penny. I use about 2 t of firewood each year, over winter, maybe 3t if it's a particularly long or cold winter.

I've been working on this for a week or more, part time, of course. It all started with a discussion of the extended cross slide piece with T slots for back tools. I decided that I could sacrifice OD for tooling, and replaced the compound with a slab of steel. It mounts on the "circular dovetail" that the compound mounted on. I had been using a home made four-tool holder, replaced the bottom of it, (mounts on four 5/16 ball bearings). Instead of T Slots I chose to use face tapped holes and a key to locate the holder. This shows the base plate, the back tool holder and the four-tool.
Base with tooling.jpg

Below it is with a piece of 7/16 hex, turned round and chamfered. I have plans for a cut off tool and who knows what else will develop. The holes on the far side were just in case something can be done over there, too. I plan to replace the screw/nuts with SHCS.

base with work.jpg
By loosening up three set screws I can remove this and replace the compound if needed. All this millwork was done on my PM25 mill.

Last edited:
Needed 6 pulleys to hoist the canoe up into the rafters of the shed. Anyone can buy them, only a true hobbiest/fool would spend 3 days making them. A nice mix of wood and metal. Aluminum pulley, brass bushed on a steel spacer, with stainless straps and ash cheeks.
XOaqlFrt7-YU_EEaMWeJueG5zsZd4tJv5PNXM_uPNxtnEk2Cx_tXPWEIFK9jWSuEOR8s7pwZbCl1B5Xept=w936-h1247-no.jpg
Greg

Needed 6 pulleys to hoist the canoe up into the rafters of the shed. Anyone can buy them, only a true hobbiest/fool would spend 3 days making them. A nice mix of wood and metal. Aluminum pulley, brass bushed on a steel spacer, with stainless straps and ash cheeks.
XOaqlFrt7-YU_EEaMWeJueG5zsZd4tJv5PNXM_uPNxtnEk2Cx_tXPWEIFK9jWSuEOR8s7pwZbCl1B5Xept=w936-h1247-no.jpg
Greg

....giggle, he said 'ash cheeks'....
Pretty sophomoric, but couldn't resist.

Seriously though, they look great! Too good to be in the rafters of the shed!

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back