2017 POTD Thread Archive

Bruce, very nice custom touch!

My time in the shop wasn't near as creative. For the last couple of years I have been working with a friend to bring to market a tiller outboard boat motor accessory. We do not plan to manufacture all the parts but rather to assemble them and ship them. Unfortunately it seems like every time we get new parts in there is something wrong with them. If I can, I rework them to fit as needed otherwise we wait for new parts and orders don't get filled. The project today was to mill down over 100 Delrin bushings that were too long. Used some PSA film that I had and just stuck them down to a aluminum plate. Went fast.bushing1.jpg bushing2.jpgNew style.JPG

Unfortunately it seems like every time we get new parts in there is something wrong with them. If I can, I rework them to fit as needed otherwise we wait for new parts and orders don't get filled.

Seems like you need a new vendor(s) :confused:

Finally got the plate roller on castors. This has been on my "to do list" for some time, in fact, I design the brackets back when I built Mark's (mksj) rolling mill base and built all eight at the same time.
3/8" CR flat bar.
IMG_0043.JPG
These have been on standby for several months.
IMG_0242.JPG
First order of business was to move the roller out to remove the four angle clips. I don't like to grind too much in the shop and the day was beautiful with a high of 88 degrees.
A 4.5" cutoff wheel was used to grind off the factory welds keeping the parent metal intact.
IMG_0235.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
All four clips removed and the frame cleaned up.
IMG_0239.JPG
Brought the machine back into the shop and began laying out the location. I kept the machine at a comfortable height for this. Wood cribbing was used as safety blocks since I was working in the danger zone.
IMG_0241.JPG
Used tape as a guide for stripping paint. I used a 3M roloc green stripper disc.
IMG_0243.JPG
All four caster brackets tacked and ready for verification prior to burning in.
A level was used to verify the new brackets to the main frame.
I used a straight section of tubing spanning the two brackets.
IMG_0244.JPG
And checked the main frame for same results.
IMG_0245.JPG
Now its time to burn in the brackets.
IMG_0246.JPG
The 350P was used at 425 IPM in pulse mode. All vertical welds up hill. A wet rag was used near any wiring that passed through the main frame (to the right of weldment). All four weldment are directly inline with cross members on the main frame preventing distortion and preserving rigidness.
IMG_0249.JPG
Installed the casters and lowered the machine to the floor for a test drive:).
This is the business side of the machine.
IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0251.JPG
Checked with a level and they where dead on x 2.
IMG_0257.JPG
Close up of upper frame. spot on!
IMG_0258.JPG
Good on side too.:)
IMG_0256.JPG
Tomorrow, I need to notch the end cover (x 2) to fit over the new caster brackets. I laid them out prior to removing the cover. I will probably go 3/8" beyond the lines to ensure clearance (cut once).
IMG_0252.JPG

Notice the Heat affected zone (HAZ) on the backside of the CR flat bar.
The color represents between 840-1,000 degrees resulting in good fusion. Floor clearance came to 1.25" as planned for a working hight of 32"
IMG_0254.JPG
The final measurement hight (plate feed hight) came to 32" from floor. This matches the hight of a table used to roll full sheets to the plate roller.
IMG_0253.JPG
The castors all swivel and all have locks. This should allow reconfiguration of work space for larger jobs that come in. I have most of the machines/tables on castors with the exception of mills and lathe for obvious reasons. The machine requires moderate effort to roll around.
I will paint the brackets bright orange to match the rest of the machines on castors as well as touch up the hammer tone blue/green paint.
A good day all in all.
Thanks for looking.
Turn and burn!
Paco

IMG_0248.JPG

You do really nice work Paco, love the stacks of bent metal when you are manufacturing. :grin: Mine never come out so nice, they look absolutely perfect to each other! Not all that easy with manual equipment.
:encourage::encourage:

Rich

Last edited:
Well I didn't really do anything and it was on Thursday, about noon I went out , two of my machines the tarps needed some help so my daughter came out to help the old cripple after they were put in order. She rolled out the two door machinist bench out and I got a look at what twenty bucks paid for , it's about 38" x 24" x 36" high. There's a aluminum plate on top 1 1/4 " thick. Two shelves with several stainless steel I beam 2 -12" x 16" . Several pieces oh other stock drops or cutoffs , box of Allen head hardware , few other items . I was happy , got my hair clipper set out and shaved the dome down to 3/16" length blower off all the hair and waited to go to the Dr at 2:15 , took a ride to and thru my square circle sportsmen club, member there for near forty years. Lots of big things in my life from being there. But thats what I did and now I'm in agony , it's easing up but it sucks.

I hate spell check it types what I didn't say.

Last edited:
You do really nice work Paco, love the stacks of bent metal when you are manufacturing. :grin: Mine never come out so nice, they look absolutely perfect to each other! Not all that easy with manual equipment.
:encourage::encourage:

Rich

Thanks Rich,
The limit switches (stroke control) really come in handy for repeated braking using the iron worker. This feature also saves time when sharing, notching and punching multiple pieces all while saving were and tear on the machine. Those brackets are 3/8" x 4" CR requiring a fair amount of tonnage to break/bend cold.

Paco , well done as usual, what is the capacity of the plate roller, looks like a good one. Is it new/used

Well I didn't really do anything and it was on Thursday, about noon I went out , two of my machines the tapers needed some help so my daughter came out to help the old cripple after they were put in order. She rolled out the two door machinist bench out and I got a look at what twenty bucks paid for , it's about 38" x 24" x 36" high. There's a aluminum plate on top 1 1/4 " thick. Two shelves with several stainless steel I beam 2 -12" x 16" . Several pieces oh other stock drops or cutoffs , box of Allen head hardware , few other items . I was happy , got my hair clipper set out and shaved the dome down to 3/16" length blower off all the hair and waited to go to the Dr at 2:15 , took a ride to and thru my square circle sportsmen club, member there for near forty years. Lots of big things in my life from being there. Buttheads what I did and now I'm in agony , it's easing up but it sucks.
Did you have the surgery yet? If not when?

Paco , well done as usual, what is the capacity of the plate roller, looks like a good one. Is it new/used

Thanks Derrick,
I purchased the machine from a second owner in Riverside CA. via eBay back in 08. It had 10 hours on the hour meter and was built by New Dimension aka Built Rite mfg. out of Conger MN. It was originally built for a US Navy lab doing work for NASA in 1998. It was wired 480VAC 3 ph and had a huge VFD. Model P5.075, Capacity 5'x14 gauge. Can roll thicker material in narrower width. It has powered pitch roll as well. Mark (mksj) configured a new control system that after I rewired the motors to 240VAC and it works like a dream. Came with a cone rolling attachment and can roll troughs with the use of the rheostat to creep up to the lines FWD/RVSE foot switches. Mark also incorporated An E-stop with pilot lights. The cables surrounding the rolls (front/back) trigger E-stop as well via micro-switch.

Here's a shot of a cone rolled from 10 guage.
20141219_165211.jpg
20141219_165153.jpg
A finished "Chiminea", The pieces where cut on the CNC table and the opening (circle) was left in with holding tabs for until after the cone was completed.
mms_picture.jpg
Many uses for this piece of equipment. I have also rolled 30" rings from 1/4"x 4" flat bar.
This is one of the few machines I drove out to get (18 hour redeye round trip) as fuel prices where $5.00/gal. back in 08.
One of my good buys.
Paco

Did you have the surgery yet? If not when?
No the first I should find out on Monday, that's to remove a stimulator in my back. Then mris of the spine after that the surgeon for what he will do . Surgery will be after that. The first will be an overnight stay he says depending on outcome of the removal . It's so drawn out I don't understand why but I guess it's life.

Back