2017 POTD Thread Archive

Paco,

You WAX your welders? :eek: :eek: :eek: :grin:

Are those "push pins" commercially available (mfg. name/source?) ? I've never seen them in a catalog (only in products).

PS: Nice work!
Some folks think Im nuts waxing a machine including my wife. Truth be told, the last Millermatic 250 I sold was a 97 year model. I sold it back in 2014 for $1500 to the first looker. Not bad for a 17 year old machine that looked to be 5 years old and it included all the paperwork. Millers are like Toyotas with a great resell value, especially nice looking ones:).

The push pins come from Valco (Vally Tool & Die INC.) P/N B160XS. The last order of 150 ran me $1.60 ea. They also provide me with a double button version for a different model we offer with a folding leg. Very nice quality with zero failure rate since 2003.

20170917_145600.jpg
A close friend's nefew needed a trailer ball mount welded back on a 4-wheeler.
The mount was originally bolted on, but the bolts broke. Someone, or multiple people had added weld to it until it was a mess.
A 4" grinding disk later and it was ready to go back on. A few gussets of metal strips, and a squirt of paint, and it's ready to go.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Some folks think Im nuts waxing a machine including my wife. Truth be told, the last Millermatic 250 I sold was a 97 year model. I sold it back in 2014 for $1500 to the first looker. Not bad for a 17 year old machine that looked to be 5 years old and it included all the paperwork. Millers are like Toyotas with a great resell value, especially nice looking ones:).

That's awesome Paco. I thought I was the only one who did semi-annual welder maintenance and put a coat of wax on them. I first did this on my Lincoln welder I bought right out of high school. I had it for about 12 years and sold it to the first guy who looked at it for only $400 less than I paid for it. My two current machines (Miller MM251/Miller Dynasty 300 DX) are still like new but I need to do my maintenance routine as they have been sitting under bedsheets in the attached garage until about two months ago. Now I need to find the time to so some overall tool and equipment maintenance as soon as I get my vehicles up to par with where I want them.

Excellent work on the carts. First class work all the way.

Mike

This past weekend I needed to change an oxygen sensor on my jeep. The idiot light kept coming on and the OBD tools said it was an "O2 sensor slow response". This vehicle has 4 oxygen sensors, luckily the OBD code pointed to a particular one.

Now how the heck to get a wrench on it?....and even if you do there's almost no room to swing it!

It was a 22mm hex on the sensor, but I could not find an extra 22mm flare-nut wrench and did NOT want to sacrafice my good one. I did find a flare nut wrench at my local used-tool store with 3/4" on one end and 7/8" on the other. The 7/8" was close enough (22.225mm).

Here's how I moded the wrench to suit the job:

20170916_133154.jpg

20170916_133209.jpg

Having the ability to customize tools made this job possible.

-brino

This past weekend I needed to change an oxygen sensor on my jeep. The idiot light kept coming on and the OBD tools said it was an "O2 sensor slow response". This vehicle has 4 oxygen sensors, luckily the OBD code pointed to a particular one.

Now how the heck to get a wrench on it?....and even if you do there's almost no room to swing it!

It was a 22mm hex on the sensor, but I could not find an extra 22mm flare-nut wrench and did NOT want to sacrafice my good one. I did find a flare nut wrench at my local used-tool store with 3/4" on one end and 7/8" on the other. The 7/8" was close enough (22.225mm).

View attachment 241878

View attachment 241879

-brino

They do sell the special wrenches almost identical to what you made. I had the same issue but my truck is flex fuel so I just filled the tank with ethanol and it went away once I run gas again I'll have to see if it comes back.

View attachment 241878

View attachment 241879

-brino
Custom made flare nut crows foot "thingy-mabob". I have all sorts of modified automotive tools as well and they work better than what you can buy.
Way to go brino!

That's awesome Paco. I thought I was the only one who did semi-annual welder maintenance and put a coat of wax on them. I first did this on my Lincoln welder I bought right out of high school. I had it for about 12 years and sold it to the first guy who looked at it for only $400 less than I paid for it. My two current machines (Miller MM251/Miller Dynasty 300 DX) are still like new but I need to do my maintenance routine as they have been sitting under bedsheets in the attached garage until about two months ago. Now I need to find the time to so some overall tool and equipment maintenance as soon as I get my vehicles up to par with where I want them.

Excellent work on the carts. First class work all the way.

Mike
Hey Mike.
Seems we live in parallel :cocksure:

Got the Hawaii shipment out first thing this am.
IMG_1561.JPG
ALOHA BRAH!

Paco

The HF generator has had a work out the last 6 days but it did have a problem. The front control panel is made of plastic and the vibration broke all 4 mounting ears.
I fixed it temporarily so I could still use it so today I had time to do a proper fix.

GEDC3295.JPG

GEDC3297.JPG

I think that will hold it just fine.

Ray

Yes I got it on a trade deal many years back. It had a bad motor so I put a new motor on it and then the deck rusted out. I bought a 10,000 watt HF generator and mounted it on the tractor. This is the first time I have used it for any length of time in 15 years and the nice thing is I can drive it to where I need it.

Ray

Back