2017 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks! Now I know what I need to do to fix my chicom setup!
Thanks! Of course the very simple solution would have been to set the block up to the holes and mark the circles with a sharpie. Eyeball the center punching and drill the holes on the drill press. Really no precision locating needed. My "fix" was over-engineering to the max! But if you had a Camaro and a Yugo in your garage and needed to make a quick trip for eggs and milk, which car would you take?

Bruce

The neighbour offered me a 100+ foot roll of armoured cable. Looked like it might make a good feed for 50 amp service to the blacksmith shop. We dug it out today, literally, the ends were buried in the ground. To our amazement it wasn't cable in the armour but 8 small plastic tubes and two telephone sized wires.
View attachment 218129

Any ideas as to what it might have been used for ? Pneumatic control cable for something?

Greg
What it looks like is the shielding they used to run the power cable. Someone and maybe the owner a that did it pulled the electric wire out. As large as it looks it could have had a very good sized wire and costly. They may have used it for the new shop. Telephone cable is rather expensiveness so why pull it back out? When I put my shop in I ran 3 lines of 8 gauge wire so I know I had all the power I wanted.

Got the plate roller finished up today.
I no longer could use the fork lift to raise the machine since the lower frame now sits 1.250" off the floor, so I rigged some straps rated at 6800# ea. Got the wood back under it and removed the casters and forked it out.
IMG_0259.JPG
Masked off the caster brackets and shot them safety orange.
IMG_0260.JPG
Wile the paint was drying, I notched the two areas on the cover. I had mentioned I would lay out the cuts 3/8" oversized to ensure fitment over the weld bead.
I first used a split point drill on the two upper corners for a finished radius and a starting point for the jig saw. A small piece of duct tape was used on the jig saw foot to prevent marring the finish.
IMG_0263.JPG
Masked off the orange brackets and shot the main frame with the beast match I could find at Ace hardware. Its has more blue than the original hammer tone, but worked well enough.
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
stripped of the masking while the paint is wet.
IMG_1611.JPG
The over sized notches on the cover where just enough to allow the cover to line up. The cover indexes into two pockets front and back and one on the top. Danm thing is awkward to handle and line up alone but its on. (front)
IMG_1612.JPG
Back of machine. You can see one of two pockets that hold the cover. I basically had to lower the cover from the top at a slight angle allowing the cover to index onto the side pockets and the top pocket. Before the modification, one could slide the cover in place from the side. Any smaller notch and it would not have fit.
IMG_1613.JPG
You can clearly see the color difference and thats fine. Its now mobile and thats what I was after.IMG_1614.JPGIMG_1615.JPG
Next project is a much needed lathe/mill support table for all the heavy tooling items. My goal is to limit the amount of weight I need to physically handle for set ups and such.
Thanks for looking.
Turn and burn!

Paco

IMG_0264.JPG

Ok, here's my pathetic project. I didn't need to use a forklift. (Good thing because I don't have one)
What it lacks in skillful machining and complexity, it more than makes up in usefulness.

It's a bracket to hold my golf GPS to the windshield post on a golf cart.
The clamp and ball joint arm are photographic accessories.
The aluminum thing (not the black stuff) is what I made.
The bracket provides something for the belt clamp that came with the GPS to hold on to.

IMG_0996.JPG

The big hole is so I can access the nut with a nut driver.
I also modified the clamp by replacing the sliding T-handle with a ball. It is just epoxied on.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

The is the first part I made for proof of concept (to see if it works). I used it yesterday and it worked great.
Also, at the time I made it, I didn't have any 1.5" x 1" Aluminum tube. I just got that material today.
I did a little extra shaping on the final version to lighten it and make it look spiffy.

IMG_0998.JPG

Last edited:
Spiffy Looks are applauded. Nice gadget. there's no reason we can't have fun and make things others try to sell us.

Ok, here's my pathetic project. I didn't need to use a forklift. (Good thing because I don't have one)
What it lacks in skillful machining and complexity, it more than makes up in usefulness.

It's a bracket to hold my golf GPS to the windshield post on a golf cart.
The clamp and ball joint arm are photographic accessories.
The aluminum thing (not the black stuff) is what I made.
The bracket provides something for the belt clamp that came with the GPS to hold on to.

View attachment 242698

The big hole is so I can access the nut with a nut driver.
I also modified the clamp by replacing the sliding T-handle with a ball. It is just epoxied on.

View attachment 242699

View attachment 242697

The is the first part I made for proof of concept (to see if it works). I used it yesterday and it worked great.
Also, at the time I made it, I didn't have any 1.5" x 1" Aluminum tube. I just got that material today.
I did a little extra shaping on the final version to lighten it and make it look spiffy.

View attachment 242700
That turned out nice. Does the GPS help pick the correct club (yardage)?

Spiffy Looks are applauded. Nice gadget. there's no reason we can't have fun and make things others try to sell us.

Thanks Tom. I looked at lots of available mounting systems. I took the best ideas of a couple of them and came up with something a little nicer and more versatile. And, I enjoyed the process. I am presently trying to come up with a rack for my laser rangefinder besides the cup holders in the golf carts.

That turned out nice. Does the GPS help pick the correct club (yardage)?

Yes it does that and more, Paco. It displays a map of each fairway, with greens and hazards, and shows your position with yardage to the green and various hazards. It is especially handy for courses I haven't played, or I don't play much. It is good to know what is around the corner out of sight.

It will also keep score and measure shots. It will suggest clubs if you keep up with logging each shot and what club you used. Generally, I just need to know how far is enough, too much or not far enough. I know how long I hit my clubs — give or take 30 yards. I'm never sure which way the ball will go, though.

Last edited:
Back