2017 POTD Thread Archive

Nice ,Does the gps tell you where the ball went

Hah! That would be very useful, but no, it doesn't. Only the Almighty knows that, and I've hit a few that even HimSelf would find challenging to find.

(Maybe I could invent a way to put a remotely activated smoke bomb inside some balls. I bet I could sell millions of them.)

I want a big Ole shop that I can drive a fork lift around in :encourage:
I just have this Lil Ole blacksmith shop, still aways to go, she has thrown more than a few kinks at me the last few days. Changed from putting a 3 5/8" wall in to 6" mainly due to the bad conditions of the existing roof and footings. I still have a few more days of tearing down the front and rear sections. I need to get my brother over here to get all the electric back in the walls

I have 3 sliding windows ready to be installed, pretty excited about that:D
20170926_184045.jpg
20170926_184013.jpg
20170925_124043.jpg

Well, another day in the books, I'll spend the next few hours cleaning up the site and loading trash on the uhaul to be brought to the dump tomorrow20170927_171151.jpg
20170927_171128.jpg
20170927_171254.jpg
Tomorrow I'll work on the last corner, I'm guessing 2 days for that

That's very much for looking and liking, too kind!!!

Rich

Great Job, Rich. I noticed your are doing the Tyvek top to bottom. Isn't it supposed to overlap upper over lower, like shingles, for drainage?

Yes, I'm gonna use the tape, and there is a stone detail going on the bottom 40", just below the windows... and I was in a big time rush to get the Windows in before dark. I still have a couple of hours loading debris in the Uhaul for a dump drive before bringing the trailer back.

It's a lot of work to do for just 1 guy:cool:

Thanks for stopping by.

Rich

One of the jobs I have "working" for my son, is making torque meters for his rubber band model airplane motors (yeah, they call 'em motors). I've been making them to his specs, specifically the length of .039 wire (18" long ) to wind around the inside to be compressed to turn the needle so you can see how much torque is applied to the "motor." To make a long story short, he claims that the meter is off, that it doesn't read as high as it actually is. It seems that 3 inch ounces will probably break the motor and he's winding to 2 1/2 inch ounces and they break. There seems to be no commercial unit that will accomplish this. I set myself a goal, build one. I have a tiny scale that reads in grams, and every 28 1/2 (or so) grams is an ounce measured one inch from the center of an axis. I've been working on this for a couple of weeks mentally and three days physically. and here it is.

Torque meter gage 1.jpg

The torque meter, the cylinder on the left, (with a hex handle for turning (this is replaced in practice by the winder) turns the body clock wise, the spring inside gets twisted and in its turn turns the output shaft/hood (riding in a pair of Oilite bearings) in the middle of the contraption. The little lever in between the two big bearings presses straight down on the scale, reading in inch grams. There is a pointer on the body of the scale which is stationary relative to the body, allowing the user to mark where ounces are on the body. Ultimately a printed tape is applied to the body so the user can read directly on the scale.
Having achieved my goal of the making a gauge, I now know that the 18 inch wire should be 19 5/16 long to read 8 inch ounces on one revolution of the body., It currently reads 8.6 in oz.
The back side (toward us) of the body is resting on a pair of roller bearings, captive inside the block, concentric with the other shaft. This is my calibration device.

Sorry Franko if my answer sounded a bit Kurt. I have been tossing about how I was going to do that all day. It was getting later, I was tired and I really wanted to get the Windows in for some level of protection from weather.. we had a brief shower this morning and my 2 lathes in that wall are a bit exposed to the weather.

As far as tyvek, I am not sure whether in my application it would matter, though I will probably slide a 3' wide piece in, and use the water resistant tape on it. I plan to use that around the Windows also.
The masonry still for the stone detail... not sure about, stone mason lives across the street I'll probably ask his opinion.

Sorry if I was stammering excuses:rolleyes::encourage:

Reactions: jcp
Another venture was presented to me down at work today . A contractor out of Maine has a retired buddy up in Jersey with a few Colchesters and Bridgeports along with a fully tooled shop . ( supposedly all top shelf tooling ) Machinist by trade that worked with him . He's unloading everything at a price that I thought was reasonable but I haven't seen a thing yet . Next week , I'm going to contact him and take a road trip to see exactly what he has possibly negotiate a deal . If I can't , I'll ask his permission to put his info. on here . Unless I can make a buck with the moving expenses and such , I will pass . I'm doing well cleaning out my own junk !

No , my personal tools that Ive purchased for my living are not junk , thus this opportunity has caught my interest . I do have some stuff that qualifys as junk in my possession though , and I will let everyone know when it's leaving my premises ! I'm not a fan of cheap imports , but I'm not going to diss them on this site . Some see value differently than others . Armstrong or Proto vs Pittsburge ? Uh , come on . :rolleyes: It's your knuckles as I tell them down at work .

Last edited:
Back