2017 POTD Thread Archive

They were incredible engines if you could tolerate the noise. The sawmill down the road from where I grew up had a 453 running it too. We had crane trucks at work that 8v71's, the guys claimed the only way to drive them was slam the door on your fingers when you walked up to the truck to get yourself in the right mind set.
Up till I quit the oilfield 90 percent of the service rigs used Jimmy's. Probably the only diesel that could tough the work. Wide open with a heavy load as you pulled the pipe, then instant idle while the connection was made and the blocks dropped, then over and over and over.

Greg

Finally getting back to doing what I always wanted to do. Play with my machines
Bought some acrylic at Lowe's to make a see thru shield in front of my mill, while I was at it I made a couple quick an dirty plywood table protectors. Bent the acrylic after putting alittle heat to it from a cheap heat gun purchased at Lowe's for the job. She works nice, Happy I got that one finally done
20171118_143101.jpg
20171118_144926.jpg
While I was at, a quick and dirty one for the lathe
20171118_144907.jpg

Richl, I made some that look almost identical--not so clean any more:grin:
They are really nice to have when using a fly cutter--makes clean up easy.

Finally finished making the end mill sharpening fixture from one of Harold Halls books. Had to make a few changes to the dimensions since my larger end mills are bigger than the original plans would accommodate. Now all I need is a proper grinding rest. One of his rests is on my to do list.

1511063836448.png
1511064091292.png

1511064175153.png

I made one almost a duplicate of your brazing jig. I would be interested in seeing a photo of the blade beveling jig.

Ken
Any reason for the preference to gas welding the blades, rather than the traditional electric resistance weld as is done in factories? To my mind the gas welding will soften a portion of the blade adjacent to the weld.

Bob.

Last edited:
Gave Kelly a hand getting the shutdown to work on his compressor. Just a tiny little engine, Detroit 16v92.
View attachment 247183
View attachment 247184

Greg

The Detroit GM Diesels are called Converters here. They take diesel fuel and convert it into noise LOL. My inline 6 cyl. Detroit runs a 400 amp generator. I can't imagine the size of compressor 10 more cylinders would run. Must be one heck of a site to see in person.
Cheers
Martin

I finished roughing out and threading the area for the nuts to tighten the spitter knives and spacers. They are ready to take over to the Landis cylindrical grinder for finishing. One shaft, the one I made earlier is the driving one so it is longer for the drive gear and chain from the motor. The short one is driven by the long one. Cutting the left hand thread was pretty simple although I think I have only done left hand threading a handful of times! I now have about 20 pounds of chips to clean up! Both shafts were a pain for awhile due to chatter until their size was reduced. I kept dailing up and down the rpm via the VFD to fine the sweet spot while turning. A lot better than fixed speeds with no happy rpm against chatter. One shaft was made from 4150 and the other 4140. Used what was available! Used same tool geometry but the 4150 I could take .140" off per pass while the 4140 only 0.100". Once the HSS tool started to wear the long chips came back, but when sharp I was getting nice little curls with almost no color. Now I have to make matching nuts with knurling for grip and I found my inside cutter is too big to fit inside in the 1" hole when using my 3/4" boring bar. I have have to grind a HSS square blank into shape for the threading.
Pierre

IMG_1605.JPG

My mower/plow was having trouble starting when it was getting colder (it was barely starting at -10C, which is a nice warm day during the winter here in Edmonton), and as part of figuring out why, I wanted to pull the spark plugs, but I couldn't because part of the plow mount was directly in line with the spark plug on each side, so it's time for v4 of the mount.

So, changes for this version of the mount:
-lower the upper winch support so it clears the spark plugs
-lower the front wheel supports so the engine sits level
-rotate the front wheel supports 90 degrees so they are a little narrower, and put a cap on the top of the support tube so it looks a little nicer and water doesn't collect inside it

Before pic (I wanted to take a pic of it attached to the drive unit showing how it covered up the plugs, but I forgot):
IMG_0995.jpg

This is from my previous post, almost shows the problem, but the spark plug is hidden by the exhaust pipe:
IMG_0994 (1).jpg

After:
IMG_0996.jpg

Closer shot showing the plugs (the vertical part of the old support was right in front of the plugs):
IMG_0997.jpg

As well, a leather wrench pouch I made awhile ago. I googled/searched local stores for a decent pouch for a set of wrenches, and the black one was the best one i found available for purchase, but it was clearly put together by someone who didn't know tools, as the width of each wrench pouch is about the same (some of the slots for larger wrenches are smaller than the ones for the smaller wrenches) and the depth of the slots aren't enough for the larger wrenches:
IMG_0999.jpg

And here's the one I made:
IMG_0998.jpg

Mike, I'm drooling. What are the black tops on the benches ? Granite, Soapstone, just plastic laminate?

Jeff, I apologize I didn't see this earlier.

The work bench tops are merely 10-gauge hot-rolled steel. Once I welded up the corners I applied a coat of Sheila Shine to them. I figured this is something I will just apply a couple of times a year as it adheres quite well.

Thanks for the comments Jeff.

Mike

Back