2017 POTD Thread Archive

MY SON-IN-LAW CAME BY WITH HIS TOYOTA PICKUP AND SAID HE HAD A FRAME RUST PROBLEM
& IF I COULD TAKE A LOOK AT IT . SURE NO PROBLEM , HOW BAD CAN IT BE ?

WHAT I FOUND WAS PRETTY SCARY . A WHOLE SECTION OF THE FRAME AND THE SPRING SUPPORT
WAS HANGING OUT IN MID AIR !

TO FIX IT RIGHT , THE BED NEEDS TO COME OFF AD THE GAS TANK REMOVED .
I HAD THREE HOURS TO DO SOMETHING , NO TIME FOR A PROPER REPAIR &
I AM NOT SURE THE TRUCK IS WORTH IT .

SO I PATCHED IT UP AND SENT HIM ON HIS WAY . ALL I DID WAS BUY HIM SOME TIME .
THE REPLACEMENT METAL IS 9/32" THICK .

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

DSC_0872.JPG

Inspired by a video I saw on here last week, decided to make some M8 transfer screws in preparation for fitting a new chuck to its backplate.

Made from some setscrews, an old allen key and a stainless steel bolt turned down for the body.

IMG_4839.JPG

Built a snowplow mount for a tractor. Bending the 6" x 1/2" flat bar was about the limit of
what my Harbor Freight 20 ton press could handle but it got the job done. Don't be too critical of my welds--I need a lot more practice before I will be able to lay a bead as good
some I've seen here.
plow-mount.jpg

Built a snowplow mount for a tractor. Bending the 6" x 1/2" flat bar was about the limit of
what my Harbor Freight 20 ton press could handle but it got the job done. Don't be too critical of my welds--I need a lot more practice before I will be able to lay a bead as good
some I've seen here.
View attachment 247992

Looking good to me. With the welding practice makes perfect, and boy do I need practice!

Added some ‘angle eye’ lights to my mill spindle today. I had brought these some time ago but hadn’t go around to actually installing them. Didn’t have any bar stock large enough for the carrier so started with some 1/2” Aluminium plate roughed to a octagon.
3CB5F5A4-B215-4073-8F7B-3DCD09F201D9.jpeg

Rounded it up, thinned it down and cut two slots for the angle eyes - one was 80mm diameter and the other 60mm.
FC29AC20-8383-4B46-96BD-2D9925B9AFA4.jpeg

Milled some recesses on the back for some magnets to hold it in place around the spindle.
908F1B91-CBA2-4999-819A-3568A6EA9C3C.jpeg

A bit of glue and some wiring and finished.
D88F0329-BDE6-4AE1-844D-98B1252DE10E.jpeg
A5686FD8-E1C5-41F8-8719-855032714F88.jpeg

And installed
EAA3627A-D092-422C-9397-09DC7803D9A6.jpeg

Mozampete, that is pretty cool, mind a link to that tutorial, looks like something I'd like to make up.

As usual, I started work on the new hinge for the lathe motor mount, that led me over to the horizontal bandsaw for a simple cut to make the piece I worked to size on the lathe, than milled down on the mill... placed in the horizontal bandsaw for the simple cut off, than head back to the mill to drill and thread some holes...
20171126_192234.jpg
nope, bandsaw breaks down, the tension block assembly breaks. No problem, I'll make another assembly
20171126_192328.jpg
So far, so good, I made this piece easy enough. I ran into problems with the slots on each side, it would have been easier with a slotting saw, I have lots of cutters I got used on eBay, but my slotting arbor I made for wider cutters I did not make the the adapter for the arbor yet... No problem, I have a couple small endmills I got off another ebay purchase, I'll try them... it took 2 cutters to mill one slot... darn, 1 more to20171126_192356.jpg
do.
Ok, I'll use the slotting arbor, I'll mill the deeper piece for holding the cutter into the arbor to accept the thinner cutters...
At that point I made a bad setup for the arbor piece. After sending part of an insert flying across the shop, and the piece rocked off the vise....
I have to rethink this one, come back with a better plan, replace the broken insert, setup a better holding setup. Mill the end of the slotting arbor.. look at mill, ways are dry...
At this point you need to know, my mill, previous owners used the zerks fitting to pump thick gear grease into the ways on my machine, the last few years I have been manually lubing the ways with aw32. It's a pain, but it's worth the effort.

Well... I chose that moment to correct that problem, I pulled the table
20171126_150335.jpg
20171126_150256.jpg
20171126_145204.jpg
The plan, after spending the last 3 hours or so cleaning out all the oil passages is to set up a 1 pump system, i ordered the pump from ebay, ill pick up the plumbing tomorrow from the hardware store, the pump will be here in a couple of days. No more spraying and painting on way oil on all the ways.
So, the tally of a weekend working in the shop, horizontal bandsaw, down... Mill, down... lathe. Still working but in limbo:encourage:
Ahhh, my work here is done lol
By end of next week, I think k all machines should be working again.

Last edited:
Back