2017 POTD Thread Archive

If your three jaw chuck has two piece jaws you could machine soft jaws to fit the questionable gear and recut the bore for an oversized bushing.
The small gear on this set was damaged, I used soft jaws to hold it while I machined the damaged gear away to press a new one on.

Greg
Thank you for the idea . I need to make a set for barrel crowning . Cut up beer can works but I need three hands to tighten the chuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Having modified my Square block to accept R8 collets, I was able to cut the flutes on my router bit. (I made two, one for my buddy, one for myself). My in-house critic thinks the bead is too small, we'll see what my buddy thinks. I can always made one with a bigger bead. I can see I'm a better tool maker than photographer, and no, I'm not going to work on that.

The image below shows a scrap of mahogany with a couple of beads on it, and beside it the cutter.

one eighth bead.jpg

The round yellow thing is/was a penny, for scale, remember what I said about photography.

Last edited:
Made some adapters to use 1-1/4" bore wheels on my grinder that has a 5/8" shaft. These wheels are 1/2" wide and the grinder is meant for 1" wheels so the factory flanges would require a spacer to use. I turned the adapter bushing and wider flange as one piece.

The OEM flanges are cast aluminum and not perfectly flat. Since the inner flanges are still used I trued them up.

GM06.png GM07.png

3" stock turned, bored and parted.

GM01.png GM02.png GM03.png

Taper turned an finished

GM04.png GM05.png GM09.png

Finished the Optical Centering Microscope! Cover and all... In fact, I used it to find the edges to drill the cover.

Robert
'Tis beautiful to behold, well done! What method did you use to center the vertical optical axis to the rotational axis of the mill?

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

31667804173_7ca1524719.jpg

32327885442_d544813f29.jpg

32357771231_1ce235238b.jpg

32357774201_1bb4f32b38.jpg

32327881072_26ab77d5cb.jpg

Made some brass wheels. They will have bearing inserted and be used to made an arrow spinner for a friend.
Considering it was just some scrap brass/bronze pieces he brought round (valve bodies, a couple of failed regulators, etc) and we melted down into a bar last weekend I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

View attachment 224443
What is an arrow spinner?

What is an arrow spinner?

A device for spinning arrows - of course.
A friend is into bow hunting and it is used to spin the arrows and check if the shaft is straight. Basically allow you to visually see any runout at the ends caused by a bent (or not straight) shaft.

The finished device - bearings mounted in the wheels and attached to angle aluminum section brackets, then fixed to some T slot section I had laying around so the spacing can be adjusted. (In actual use I think the brackets should be closer together with more overhang at each end to allow the runout to be seen)
Snapseed.jpg

Back