2017 POTD Thread Archive

The HF light attached to the welding helmet is one of those Head Slap moments. Such a simple way to solve a problem that I for one, always have when trying to tig weld.
Great idea, thank you for sharing.

I can see this now being offered as a new, expensive, accessory for the manufacturers' helmets. ;)
Next trip to HF. :)

Ken

Heck of an idea ND. The older I get the harder it is for me to see the base metal and weld puddle at the same time. This will save me from tripping over the drop-light extension cords. On my way to get a headlight.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: kvt
The HF LED light may not work on all helmets, it needs a location that is kind of flat and matches the angle of the light. On mine I added a nut and a flat washer between the bracket and helmet to elevate the rear of the mount to get it pointing where I needed it.
HL.jpg

I totally have to do that to my welding helmet also. No more draping a trouble light over one shoulder or welding at a crappy angle just to get some light at the right spot.

Found this at Princess Auto on sale for $2.49, LED, takes 3 AAAs, is adjustable up and down:
IMG_0770.jpg

I'll cut off the straps and get a small bolt to hold it to the helmet. With a single bolt, I'll also be able to rotate the light sideways if necessary.

Found this at Princess Auto on sale for $2.49, LED, takes 3 AAAs, is adjustable up and down:
View attachment 224770

I'll cut off the straps and get a small bolt to hold it to the helmet. With a single bolt, I'll also be able to rotate the light sideways if necessary.

Nice find! Please show us how you install it.

I did some welding last night and found I needed to raise the rear of my light bracket a little more to get it pointing where I wanted it. That was easy enough, just added two nuts and a flat washer between the rear of the bracket and helmet. Now its just right. I had no issues with arc or spatter on the light either. I'm going to pick up a couple more. They are cheap lights, if one breaks I'll have a spare to snap into place. If one feels the need for more light, I don't see what two lights couldn't be mounted side by side.

I'm really liking this idea. I've been doing some welding lately and seem to need more light now than I used to. I'll have to try something like this!

Today I built a 5 inch sine bar from a piece of mild steel. It seems to be accurate for my purposes.
I'm thinking of giving it some sort of case hardening treatment but not sure what that would do to the accuracy.
Also I built a little comparator stand with a piece of steel that came from the tool and die industry. I used it
because it must have been surface ground and is remarkably flat. . I used the comparator stand to fine tune the machined surfaces of the sine bar. It was a fun day project.View media item 95714

Last edited:
Back