2017 POTD Thread Archive

Enlarged the arbor on another saw tonight. The arbor was 1/2" , opened it up to 1" . I used a half inch end mill in a collet to get centered on the hole. The end mill was a nice snug fit so I figure i'm close enough for these cheapo blades that i'll use for Alum .
Idk how they'd work in steel , if they don't it's only a cheap blade . Also finished up this pipe cutter . Found this dumped at my buddies scrap yard ... thing was all seized and grundgy , hit it with some PB Blaster , overnight soak, did some wire brushing today and some engine paint...everything turns, slides and spins nice now. Only thing bad was the cutter wheel which was shot. Not even sure why I do this , I have no use for a large pipe cutter ...lol
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1anotherBlade.jpg 2BaseForPallet.jpg 3anotherBlade.jpg
4Rigid30.jpg 5Rigid30.jpg

anything I post on here please understand i'm not doing this very long, i've got alot to learn so please feel free to comment any criticisms / suggestions .

Last edited:
I bought myself a PM-932 for Christmas. As I have never run a mill before I figured I would start simple with a few mill upgrades. I made a basic quill stop and a spindle lock. The spindle lock body is made out of two pieces of alum plate (because that's all I had on hand). The shaft was turned out of a piece of 5/8" SS shaft that I had. All the other pieces came out of the junk drawer. The knob is off a old Harley jockey (hand) shifter. I'm waiting for a set of rounding over tools so I can ease the sharp edges. I'm going to really enjoy running this thing.

pm1.jpg pm2.jpg pm3.jpg

Remember - you can use carbide tipped router bits on aluminum. Half inch shank bits are best. Lots of sizes of roundover bits are available at big box stores, and generally not too expensive.

Enjoy your new mill!!!

Groundhog,

The first Gilbert chemistry sets contained sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate. Yup, kids making gunpowder. One of my favorites was an electrical set from around 1935. One of the experiments was called the "dancing spring". There was a porcelain base with a cup, two screw terminals on one end and a boss with a hole. When assembled, it looked like a hangman's getup with a steel rod in the boss going vertically with a bend so the rod went over the cup in the base. One terminal on the base had a wire that went into the cup, a long spring hung from the top of the vertical rod with the other end into the cup. A battery was wired to the two terminals. Then the vial of Mercury was dumped into the porcelain cup to complete the circuit; spring would move up/down. They had other experiments with Mercury making a switch. They also sold an Atomic Energy set in 1950/51 that contained radioactive sources. Then of course there were their Kaster kits for molding lead soldiers. They also sold a number of different soldering sets in the 1919-era with lead solder for fixing holes in mom's pots and pans. Ah, the charming toys of the past! I wonder what they would have done to amp up Jarts had they thought of them!

Bruce

Yes I remember those chem sets with sulphur, charcoal and pot nitrate, when I had used it all up making things go bang, I found the ingredients could be bought at the local gardening and hardware shop. quite cheaply. I soon found out not to try buying them all in the same shop, they figured out what I was doing. I also discovered that by putting old bits of aluminium in a bottle with a solution of Caustic soda it would make hydrogen gas. We used tie a balloon over the neck of the bottle until it was fully inflated, tie it off, and then tie on a long string that had been moistened with kerosene or lamp oil. Light the string and let the balloon go. It soon climbed high and out of sight and then exploded. Such fun.

Yes I remember those chem sets with sulphur, charcoal and pot nitrate, when I had used it all up making things go bang, I found the ingredients could be bought at the local gardening and hardware shop. quite cheaply. I soon found out not to try buying them all in the same shop, they figured out what I was doing. I also discovered that by putting old bits of aluminium in a bottle with a solution of Caustic soda it would make hydrogen gas. We used tie a balloon over the neck of the bottle until it was fully inflated, tie it off, and then tie on a long string that had been moistened with kerosene or lamp oil. Light the string and let the balloon go. It soon climbed high and out of sight and then exploded. Such fun.
Could you imagine the trouble we would be in today if we tried half the stuff we did as kids. Not to mention the trouble our parents would be in as well. Like my 3 year old grand son did last night, he took a little tow motorcycle the fit in his hand perfectly, then attached a piece of split plastic pipe to it, and was walking around going bang bang. Could you imagine if he did that at school.

Could you imagine the trouble we would be in today if we tried half the stuff we did as kids. Not to mention the trouble our parents would be in as well. Like my 3 year old grand son did last night, he took a little tow motorcycle the fit in his hand perfectly, then attached a piece of split plastic pipe to it, and was walking around going bang bang. Could you imagine if he did that at school.

We heard about it when our ~4 year old made a gun with his hand and said "bang". What is the world coming to?

I knew it was a mistake...but I did it anyhow!

Was working on the continuing saga of the "Maybe It'll Turn Into A Dividing Head If I Keep Going!" Started working on the dial this morning and got to figuring how many degrees it would be for a complete turn on the worm screw shaft. Woulda thought I'd do that before hand wouldn't ya. Hmmmm? Uh-Oh! I had used a 5/8" - 11 thread because it was handy and feasible to do at the time. I didn't think ahead and ended with 32.727 degrees per revolution. Hmmm? I used 33 degrees but know it won't work in the long run. I'll lose .28 degrees per revolution and that will make me 3 degrees under in 360 deg.

Carp! I figure I'll finish it with the idea to work out any 'Other' bugs before I redo it.

WHAT A MAROON!

WHYEMIER the 'I don't think it through before I start.' guy.

Last edited:
My wife is out of town for a week babysitting grand children, so, I had an uninterrupted 2 days to play in the shop. Made 4 "new" tool blocks for my home-made quick change tool system. They are just like guns, you always need more. 1 pc. for 1/2" insert holder, 2 pc. for 3/4" insert holders, and a universal chamfer tool and insert holder for ID or OD work... 45 deg. I made the single insert dovetail fly-cutter many years ago and use TPG's for the 30 deg. dovetail. The tool blocks have no adjustment. They rest on top of the compound slide. I didn't want to have continuous chips constantly getting snagged on any adjustment feature or handle. I have made roughly 10 sets of tooling over the years for me and each of my boys (3) and several friends.

WP_20170102_08_24_17_Pro.jpg WP_20170102_08_49_43_Pro.jpg WP_20170102_08_52_11_Pro.jpg WP_20170102_09_07_54_Pro.jpg WP_20170102_09_15_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170102_10_26_15_Pro.jpg WP_20170103_20_13_08_Pro.jpg WP_20170103_20_15_34_Pro.jpg

My wife is out of town for a week babysitting grand children, so, I had an uninterrupted 2 days to play in the shop. Made 4 "new" tool blocks for my home-made quick change tool system. They are just like guns, you always need more. 1 pc. for 1/2" insert holder, 2 pc. for 3/4" insert holders, and a universal chamfer tool and insert holder for ID or OD work... 45 deg. I made the single insert dovetail fly-cutter many years ago and use TPG's for the 30 deg. dovetail. The tool blocks have no adjustment. They rest on top of the compound slide. I didn't want to have continuous chips constantly getting snagged on any adjustment feature or handle. I have made roughly 10 sets of tooling over the years for me and each of my boys (3) and several friends.

View attachment 143040 View attachment 143041 View attachment 143042 View attachment 143043 View attachment 143044 View attachment 143045 View attachment 143046 View attachment 143047

If you don't have any adjustment on them do you have to pack them up each time you fit a new or resharpened tool.

Back