2017 POTD Thread Archive

I made a new lead screw for my newly acquired surface grinder. The old one was bent. I don't know how it happened, or if any of the accuracy was affected, but i will dig into it and find out. I only paid $45 for this grinder. should be worth it eventually.IMG_4748.JPG IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4751.JPG

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

24da831807ae3c06e1d6e169ad235766.jpg

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

24da831807ae3c06e1d6e169ad235766.jpg

OK, who did you rob, Around here working or not would be at least 3/4 the price of new.

LOL. Ain't that the truth--maybe even more than new with what I've seen on craigslist lately

LOL. Ain't that the truth--maybe even more than new with what I've seen on craigslist lately
I thought they would be a little cheaper up there, Not like here where they are all headed to Mexico even with over inflated pricing on the small things.

WMello -
That's really a fantastic repurposing of what's gotta be some pretty tough raw material. And durn ... gives a whole new level of meaning to "near net shape."

Back