2017 POTD Thread Archive

I have a magnifying lens but prefer to use my reading glasses. Also, I haven't found a magnifying lens as large as the lens in my auto helmet.

Nice score. I'm sure you will find that comes in real handy. Mike

Figured out why my snow thrower stopped working.... We have another storm arriving tomorrow.

Making a new shaft wouldn't be a big deal but I don't have the material to make at and I would still need a new sprocket. The dealer has the shaft in stock but not the sprocket and a generic sprocket would require other modifications. Surprisingly the Kubota OEM sprocket is about the same price as generic one. I decided to order the OEM stuff since it should arrive within a couple of days just like the stock and a generic sprocket. I do have a rear blade for the tractor that will work for snow removal as long as I don't let it get too deep.

Kubota_Snow.jpg

If you need/want it back in service quickly, you could try welding up the shaft, then turning it down to size again with a lathe.

So where did the key go?

What was left of it was mashed into a sort of wedge shape lodged in the sprocket keyway. The sprocket was free spinning on the shaft when I found it. The bore of the sprocket is now about 0.035 oversize! I bet it was slipping for a while. The machine is rather noisy anyway and I typically wear a "Mad Bomber" hat that covers my ears when I'm using it so I never heard anything.

Just to make it trough till you get the new parts, put it back in and spot weld around it in a few places to hold it there, Then you can take a grinder and cut them to get it off when you get the new shafts.
Just a thought to get it going if the parts are not here before you need it.

Made this just because I wanted to.

vice1.jpg

It measures 3.750 X 1.750 X 1.250 not counting the screw. The base is cut from a solid piece of steel.
The moveable jaw has a lip that rides in the slot and I also added a longer piece to steady and retain the jaw .

vice2.jpg

Thanks
Ray

Back