2017 POTD Thread Archive

Another thing I learned (this time without damaging something) is that it is crucial to make sure the indexing pin is not engaged when the lathe is going to be used for turning. After my trial engraving I was just about to start the lathe to do some turning and a split second before engaging the drive I thought about it. Too close for comfort!

Just an idea:
My lathe has a original dividing attachment which has a safety for these occasions. It has a microswitch that interrupts the feed to the motor relay when the attachment is connected to the main spindle. It only allows the motor to run when the dividing attachment is disengaged.
It may be possible to come up with something similar for your situation?
In my experience I seem to forget these things sooner or later.....

Peter

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

32805103290_3d2a03fcd5.jpg

33031044542_6341aea127.jpg

32805105730_98e3186019.jpg

Any chance of a link? They look good.

The link I used is no longer valid so I attached a PDF of the clamps I built. This write-up has everything you need. If you do an image search you can find the individual component drawings for the clamps I built as well as for different size clamps. Hope this helps.

Tom S.

Attachments

• Kant Twist Clamp Assembly.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

32805103290_3d2a03fcd5.jpg

33031044542_6341aea127.jpg

32805105730_98e3186019.jpg

I wanted an indexer on my lathe so I could engrave lines on dials ..... don't know why since I have no need for any dials or other engraving but I wanted one, so here is what I came up with......
Another thing I learned (this time without damaging something) is that it is crucial to make sure the indexing pin is not engaged when the lathe is going to be used for turning. After my trial engraving I was just about to start the lathe to do some turning and a split second before engaging the drive I thought about it. Too close for comfort!
A neat solution!
You might want to consider putting a microswitch on the pin to act as an interlock for the lathe motor. I just knbow that if it were my lathe, at some point, I would definitely try running with the parking brake on!

I very surprised your lathe doesn't have a safety switch that prevents the machine from starting with the cover removed. You might want to add one for a couple of good reasons, one of which you mentioned.

No safety switch on this machine or my other King lathe. Not standard equipment I guess. A cover switch would prevent me from using the indexer since the cover needs to be off to use it. I have another idea though. See below.

Just an idea:
My lathe has a original dividing attachment which has a safety for these occasions. It has a microswitch that interrupts the feed to the motor relay when the attachment is connected to the main spindle. It only allows the motor to run when the dividing attachment is disengaged.
It may be possible to come up with something similar for your situation?
In my experience I seem to forget these things sooner or later.....

Peter

That's a good idea and I may use it if I find I start using the indexer occasionally. As of now I don't see a need in the near or distance future. But now I have one.

For now, I think I will use the same method I use for my truck block heater. I used to forget I had it plugged in and when approaching the truck from behind I could not see that it was plugged in. I drove away with it plugged in a few times and finally came up with a solution that works well. I drape a bright green extension cord over the drivers mirror whenever I plug the block heater in. Reminds me its plugged in. No problem since doing that. I can use the same method with the lathe. If I'm going to use the indexer I will unplug the lathe and drape the power cord over the headstock by the chuck. For now the whole assemble has been removed and is stored away for some future time. I didn't want to leave it installed because I could envision the pin walking forward from the vibrations and engaging the gear. I could fix this by adding a locking nut but the pin I made isn't quite long enough. Future project.

Thanks RJ. You posted while I was typing. I may go with that idea if its not too involved. A guaranteed safety, unlike the power cord one, where I still have to remember to unplug it.

Back