2017 POTD Thread Archive

A real Man's soap dish needs LAVA soap!

My dad was a mechanic at a Ford dealership. He used Lava. When I worked in a machine shop, I used Lava. When I retired and started my home shop - by working on absolutely filthy machines - I went to look for Lava at the local supermarket.

I didn't find Lava but I did find organic mushroom soap.

Now I rarely cuss unless I'm angry. But my poor wife had to hear, "Goddammit, what's this country coming to? No Lava but plenty of organic mushroom soap."

Oh, I did find Lava elsewhere. And to answer Franko, dad used bars of Lava and also Boraxo powder. Funny, I hadn't even thought about Boraxo for forty years. I guess they still make it.

Last edited:
Made this little thing.

I'll be curious to see how well that holds up to soap. I've had a couple of bad experiences where soap caused really bad putting with aluminum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I always use organic mushroom soup for all of my hand cleaning;)

Seriously, lava/boraxo are my goto hand soaps with acetone if the above don't work.

Somewhere along the line I've gotten to using Dawn dish washing detergent. Rub a bit in, add some water, rub again, maybe brush a tiny bit and nice & clean. Maybe I just don't get as grimy as I used to but it works!

My brother sold me on these:

Dymon 42272 Scrubs In A Bucket Hand Cleaner Towels 72 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFHMPM/

The texture is every bit as effective as pumice, but doesn't abrade your skin so much, the cleaner is strong enough to be useful without making your skin dry, and they're ready to use right out of the bucket without water.

Lava was one, the other Was a powder call Thurvo or something like that, Full of pumice and something that caused it to heat up when it got wet. Worked a little better than lava but I would swear at times it took a little skin as well. now due to severe Dermatitis I have a problems on what I can use as hands split open all the time.

Somewhere along the line I've gotten to using Dawn dish washing detergent. Rub a bit in, add some water, rub again, maybe brush a tiny bit and nice & clean. Maybe I just don't get as grimy as I used to but it works!

A couple of times that I've bought machines off of people I've done the same. After I go over a machine before I buy it I get pretty greasy. A lot of guys have Goop or something like it, but some people don't. Dish washing liquid does have grease cutters unlike regular soap. And most people have dish liquid.

My brother sold me on these:

Dymon 42272 Scrubs In A Bucket Hand Cleaner Towels 72 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFHMPM/

The texture is every bit as effective as pumice, but doesn't abrade your skin so much, the cleaner is strong enough to be useful without making your skin dry, and they're ready to use right out of the bucket without water.

I use those too & they work great. I have that bucket size & the smaller one to keep in my truck. If they dry out I just spray some denatured alcohol inside the container to revive them.

I pick them up whenever I stop by my local metal supplier (IMS) or my local MSC.

I started using this when one time I was out of Goop and grabbed this on the wifes kitchen sink.
I guess it is made to cut grease, and actually works, because it cleaned my grimy hands up real good.
Only thing is, you have to use some lotion after to keep your skin from drying out.
I believe it's under $2, and so far it's lasted over a year. It doesn't take much as it is concentrated.
I will wash my hands 4 to 5 times a day every weekend, and at least 2 times a night. Maybe more if I got to hit the outhouse. :rolleyes:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va...ginal-Scent-Dishwashing-Liquid-24-oz/19856958

Back