2017 POTD Thread Archive

I guess this should have been on the previous page, but I wanted to show off my billet aluminum soap dish sized to fit a bar of Lava. I also like Boraxo, and have fond memories of Ronald Regan as the Old Ranger on Death Valley Days.

belt 011.JPG

I formed a tool using my new (to me) ACME thread gage and cut my first ACME thread. It is just a test piece in aluminum but it came out pretty nice. They take a long time because you can't take too big of a bite on each pass. I imagine my next one in steel will take even longer.

Rick

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

I needed to make a new boom microphone for my new plane because its radio has different requirements than my old one. I'm not using a standard aircraft headset because they don't work well with my leather helmet (this is an open cockpit biplane, after all). Anyway, I purchased a replacement microphone from an aircraft supplier. Another flier using this mike had used pieces of 12GA solid wire to go into the mike's female connections and that's what I originally planned with hot melt glue to snot it all together, but the wire wasn't a great fit and it just seemed hokey anyway. Some research revealed that the mike is supposed to mate with a standard connector which is readily available, but naturally I didn't have one and didn't want to wait, so I decided to make my own. A little more research found the specification drawing for the connector, with all the dimensions.

Instead of the copper wire, I turned the pins out of 1/8" brass rod. I don't have a lathe, so I did it in the mill, with a tool bit clamped in the mill vise. I also turned the groove with the same cutter, but I finished the ball ends by hand with a file and a stone, then used Craytex to smooth everything out. This is the first real project I've done since putting the variable speed drive (treadmill motor conversion) on my mill; it sure was nice to be able to crank the speed up for the small diameter brass with the turn of a knob instead of messing with moving belts around!

IMG_20170311_095014449.jpg

Next, I needed a housing. I originally planned to solder wires to the pins, plug the pins into the mike, wrap it with tape and then pot everything immobile with epoxy, but I found a piece of .300 thick plastic (UHMW, I think, but I'm not sure) in my scrap box so I decided to do it right. I didn't take any pictures of the process as it's run of the mill (pun intended) milling. After sizing the workpiece, I drilled 1/8" holes for the pins which closed up enough in the plastic to be a light press fit, then I milled a pocket on the back side. Slip the wires through, and solder them to the pins:

IMG_20170311_134634805.jpg

Finally, press the pins into the shell, pack the excess wire into the backside cavity, and fill it with epoxy to lock everything together (that's the microphone next to it):

IMG_20170311_145519848.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for warm enough weather to go up to the airport and try it out, but right now there's a blizzard coming...

FanMan, that's using the ol knoggen! Really nice job. I guess where there's a mill there's a way..........................:grin big:

Reactions: rwm
That's very cool, I never even thought about making my own height gage. Brilliant!

Back