2017 POTD Thread Archive

Finished up a guard for the Lathe to keep the chips from being slung all over behind the lathe onto the floor.
It's height is adjustable and I made it movable so if I need to use the Taper Attachment I can just roll it out of the way.
Used 1" and 1-1/4" tubing for the upper frame and attached some .090 aluminum sheet scraps I picked up at an Auction. The place I got them from built those small enclosed trailers that are 6' x 8'. One side is plain aluminum and the other is painted white. I picked up five 4' x 8' sheets, two 4' x 10' and a lot of misc sized pieces, it was all sandwiched between some sheets of plywood and you couldn't even see the aluminum sheets. I was just bidding on the plywood. When I went to load the next day, is when I found the aluminum and I was totally surprised. All of it for $15.

upload_2017-5-21_0-41-51.png

upload_2017-5-21_0-42-2.png

upload_2017-5-21_0-42-9.png

Finished up a guard for the Lathe to keep the chips from being slung all over behind the lathe onto the floor.
It's height is adjustable and I made it movable so if I need to use the Taper Attachment I can just roll it out of the way.
Used 1" and 1-1/4" tubing for the upper frame and attached some .090 aluminum sheet scraps I picked up at an Auction. The place I got them from built those small enclosed trailers that are 6' x 8'. One side is plain aluminum and the other is painted white. I picked up five 4' x 8' sheets, two 4' x 10' and a lot of misc sized pieces, it was all sandwiched between some sheets of plywood and you couldn't even see the aluminum sheets. I was just bidding on the plywood. When I went to load the next day, is when I found the aluminum and I was totally surprised. All of it for $15.

View attachment 233828

View attachment 233830

View attachment 233829
Really like your idea. I've been contemplating my navel lint and considering a similar set up for my Clausing 5418 lathe. I hate the idea of drilling into my chip pan, will go your route. Thanks for the idea!

Bruce

Don't have a chip pan, but mounted on 1/2 in steel slab, current one gets in the way if have to do anything behind the lathe, adjust, clean etc. yours is a good idea. You could put some tool holders over the top of it. and have a mobile quick reach tools.

Went to the scrap yard yesterday, looking for some metal, Did not find anything that would work, but got a look at an old Brown and Sharp turret lathe, A bit of rust and was not able to move a few things, did not have a way to even get it home so had to just leave it there as scrap, looks like they might not ship it out real soon. Can provide the name etc, if anyone interested and lives close enough to SA tx. Did not get any pics as normal did not have my phone with me.

View attachment 233828

View attachment 233830

View attachment 233829
That is a great idea, have the guard on rollers so that you have access to the back of the lathe.

I'm beginning to really dislike production. Since the middle of March (gee, only two months ago, seems like a year) My boss (son) decided to go into production on a slitter for sheet balsa wood. it's adjustable for width, up to a bit over 1/8 wide, up to 1/8th thick. There's the base piece of plastic, a piece of 1/8 plastic cut on a long diagonal so it can be adjusted for width, a cover piece, a spring to hold the balsa against the cover piece, and a surgical blade to cut the wood.

Here's the first half of a production run.

Half a batch sm.jpg

The slitter in front has a piece of balsa in it, if you look REALLY close you can see the tip of the blade near the middle of the cover piece. (look for the blade on the next one.) The 1/8th piece below the cover piece is slotted so it can be adjusted to make a smaller strip. Loosen the two thumb screws, and slide it to the side. When they are completed, there will be a scale engraved on the stationary 1/8 piece and a pointer on the slider, to indicate how wide a piece will be cut.
I hate to think how many hours I have in them.
Back to work, gotta finish the other half of the batch.

Last edited:
I can see where you've spent some time on these. They all look extremely well finished. Kudos to you (and to your son, for what looks like a very user friendly design)!

Here's what some of the logs that come into the yard leave as. Making these cabinets from white ash I sawed about 5 years ago. The tree was blown down in another storm.
E6PbR-IBVH20zJ-jtBx-C0ywG4iBQ7Ws8i6dMdyv6KTRWsnED615XWt_2pl79Vo68oK2Xoh0eKKsWuL8-8mbxeOE_UPMYb2uI86z9qS5Z6qagTK-aGDIV4fRuzlFnaD8Dr10GcgD6bhILusM6G6yy64vMtG7iMZMsMrcf7q0NtzdT8hhcgsS2z-4wRmyBuL0nh7hy2kpwtd5eQDcpu4zYj4qiWmelAXAtLc-KjQkjg-Kp6YPeEfcBmD2fippgYUKNJP57LSzm0r8B4xGXKg68hNOH1iRixxvRNBBBqRzQae9JTEQU1DDoR1ZKpz94-ABFi7vtYQGWFuvB8UCiK1Eg3ioevq6_xHaTZfyROvWYh6RE_qi63BOd-iP1rZNBfaxCcSEQyd-NIUC_YIYQHKc2AwzrrZx9GqHyIuQHYdH6B7DokP-09CHhdpbl86aAmdvEsLrHP4mWpafAULcC4btK6l_E43UgYZOmbXPJOcARfpacD-n8JaxFHW83YSgnI45bwWJXNZSZQdEfgw3I88l8iVu7RD7OjrXIT0XDfcYYe6wRljpA7runmGDHqWixm26CxU9jsfbQOqbwVUiQN2n4qPvKDL8xvzditoYdiT-KgkHXQsfxAm5=w1702-h1276-no

Greg

Back