2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may need the 12 step program. I don't feel bad though, the estate had 14 drill presses for sale.

This was a very expensive (and productive) day. It started with a trip to the Welding Supply store, which was inexpensive only because they didn't have the Miller 211 I want in stock. I was quite impressed with how friendly and reasonable they were and it's nice to have someplace good that's close. I haven't gotten a chance to photograph much, so the photos below are what I could find online.

Next stop was the Redwing store for some steel toe boots. I was surprised how comfortable they were (I've never had a pair), so a swipe of the card and they were mine:
redwing_606_boots.jpg

Then onto the primary reason for the outing--I found a guy selling some Silver and Deming drills on CL for a decent price. I told him I was just getting started and was interested in whatever machining accessories and tooling he had. Well, I hit the mother lode. The guy is a retired model maker for Lawrence Berkeley labs, et al, and had a lot of VERY nice stuff! Starting with a Gerstner 052 and 062 tool chest:
Gerstner 052.jpg Gerstner 062.jpeg

I got a full set of nearly new screw-machine length Chicago-Latrobe fractional, numbered, and lettered cobalt drills.
Chicago Latrobe Fractional.JPG Chicago Latrobe lettered.JPG Chicago Latrobe Numbered.jpeg

Metric and SAE spiral point, spiral flute, and forming taps.

Starrett height gauge, B&S height gauge, a set of import parallels and Starrett adjustable parallels. Starrett universal back plunger indicator.

Lufkin Miti-Mite magnetic base height gauge:
Lukfin Miti-Mite.jpg

Starrett small diameter gauges:
Starrett small diameter gauges.jpeg

Brown and Sharpe Bevel Protractor:
Brown and Sharpe Bevel Protractor.jpg

I got good, but not screaming, deals on everything. The wonderful thing is the condition--no surface rust--things are used, but obviously meticulously cared for.

I estimated what cash I'd need knowing I only knew of a few items he had and doubled it, plus I had a couple hundred in my wallet. I walked out with $25 and a big grin on my face.

Last edited:
Hobby machining is a serious disease and you've got it bad, ACHiPo! You did good today and I bet the seller also felt good knowing that his tools will go to someone who will care for them. Imagine some of our guys who have been accumulating tools for decades and have no one to pass them on to.

Hobby machining is a serious disease and you've got it bad, ACHiPo! You did good today and I bet the seller also felt good knowing that his tools will go to someone who will care for them. Imagine some of our guys who have been accumulating tools for decades and have no one to pass them on to.
Mike,
You've pretty much nailed it. The seller was sad to part with his tools, especially the Gerstner, but he spent 3 hours explaining how he'd been given some of the tools that I bought from him had been passed down to him from his mentors, so he was also happy to see tem have new life. I didn't negotiate (ok, so I didn't quite agree with his valuation of the Gerstner, but still paid $400 more than I had in mind) and pretty much paid what he asked--in some cases more than he asked. I think we were both pretty happy.

Really had my eye out for a mill vise for a reasonable cost. I've been using a drill press vise, and not even a good one at that. It's soooooooooooo crooked. Like .030" high on one side. You can see it in the back.
I went to busy with the intention of buying one that had mixed reviews, a kurt style, before I realized it was 5" tall!! That's not gonna fit on this little mill!
Right beside it was this tool makers vise for $10 more... yoink... snatched the last one up double time... little narrow, but it has a deep throat. I didn't want something with just a small opening then find its too limiting.
I think this'll do okay.

IMAG0955.jpg

I'm also trying out a water soluble cutting fluid... the WD-40 I've been using on the aluminum makes it difficult to clean up the chips. I use a little vacuum, but it all has much to be desired. As you can see... it's a mess!

This was a very expensive (and productive) day. It started with a trip to the Welding Supply store, which was inexpensive only because they didn't have the Miller 212 I want in stock. I was quite impressed with how friendly and reasonable they were and it's nice to have someplace good that's close. I haven't gotten a chance to photograph much, so the photos below are what I could find online.

Next stop was the Redwing store for some steel toe boots. I was surprised how comfortable they were (I've never had a pair), so a swipe of the card and they were mine:
View attachment 227884

Then onto the primary reason for the outing--I found a guy selling some Silver and Deming drills on CL for a decent price. I told him I was just getting started and was interested in whatever machining accessories and tooling he had. Well, I hit the mother lode. The guy is a retired model maker for Lawrence Berkeley labs, et al, and had a lot of VERY nice stuff! Starting with a Gerstner 052 and 062 tool chest:
View attachment 227885 View attachment 227886

I got a full set of nearly new screw-machine length Chicago-Latrobe fractional, numbered, and lettered cobalt drills.
View attachment 227890 View attachment 227891 View attachment 227892

Metric and SAE spiral point, spiral flute, and forming taps.

Starrett height gauge, B&S height gauge, a set of import parallels and Starrett adjustable parallels. Starrett universal back plunger indicator.

Lufkin Miti-Mite magnetic base height gauge:
View attachment 227888

Starrett small diameter gauges:
View attachment 227889

Brown and Sharpe Bevel Protractor:
View attachment 227887

I got good, but not screaming, deals on everything. The wonderful thing is the condition--no surface rust--things are used, but obviously meticulously cared for.

I estimated what cash I'd need knowing I only knew of a few items he had and doubled it, plus I had a couple hundred in my wallet. I walked out with $25 and a big grin on my face.
Let me give you a big YOU SUCK!!!

Looks like you did very well..

I bought a Jet band saw. Will be used much i'm sure. Chop saw is going to get lonely.
Next thing I really need is a grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back