2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

IMG_20170225_151339.jpg

You still need the 91D, assuming you have pipe taps.

View attachment 227293

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No large taps or large pipe taps for me. But who knows what may happen in the future. I may just get one some day for the heck of it. I have been thinking about getti g the little Starrett 174 though.

I have the 174, but it's not as nice as the 91 series. It doesn't have the v-jaw that stays aligned.

I think that's a 1/2" pipe tap—it's just a bit too big to fit in the 91C. Unfortunately the 1" tap I used for my lathe setting tool was too big for this wrench.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I noticed that about the 174, no V jaw. As long as it has the spring loaded mandrel like the 91 series I'll be happy, that's the main reason I went with the 91 series cause they don't come loose under use. I have a Snap On branded tap wrench & I hated using it cause it always loosens up when using it.

Well Amazon has the 174 for $30 & I had $28 credit along with some reward points so I went ahead and ordered it.

I always wondered if the medical oxygen generator would work for my small torch. I was always out of the little oxygen tanks when I needed the torch for an important job! Today I found a generator for 10 bucks at the flea market. Took it home set it up and it works like a champ with oxygen to spare!
oxygen.JPG

I was going into town so I stopped at Dollar Tree and bought some doggie poop bags.

While there I saw some plastic tool boxes that measure 12" x 4 1/2" x 4". I bought a couple thinking I could use them to store boring heads or some such things:

.plastic box.jpg

As I look at it I'm thinking that I should buy some more and build a double shelf to hold them.

And I bought this because St. Paddy's Day is coming soon:

hat.jpg

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

Img_1921.jpg

Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

View attachment 253544

I picked this 2 1/2" Winton Bullet vise with table clamping swivel base for $50 from a retired Boeing machinist. It has bronze jaws. I'm planning on make sets in aluminum and steel. I researched Wilton Bullet vises and see no mention of this size or this type of base. The date on the key is June 1970.
IMG_8581.JPG IMG_8582.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back