2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Home Depot this morning and bought 2 pcs. of 4 x 4 x 1/4" plywood, and 6 3/4" x 6" PT pine boards, and a 10' piece of drain pipe. I used about a third of the wood. All the boards and plywood came out of the cull box they have at the store. The total for all came out to be a little over $19, and I finally made a storage rack for all the material that I keep for other projects.

View attachment 234994 View attachment 234994 View attachment 234995
Thanks for the idea! I was contemplating organizing my own rounds and was going to band saw some cardboard tube packing from OnlineMetals for the carriers. The PVC will last a lot longer.

Bruce

I cleaned the telescoping gauges up a bit in the ultrasonic tank. They are slick as a whistle now. Also scrubbed the case up. Thanks to a friend who gave me a tip on these. They were a bargain on ebay.

gauges cleaned.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For no good reason I've been wanting a Starrett 196a back plunger indicator set for awhile now. For some reason I am especially intrigued with the hole attachment.
Finally found one in near perfect condition. $96 including freight. I might have paid a little too much, but I really wanted one with no rust and in super condition. So, I am happy with my purchase (and try not to think about Monk's indicator purchase for $25).
Set 1.jpg

For no good reason I've been wanting a Starrett 196a back plunger indicator set for awhile now. For some reason I am especially intrigued with the hole attachment.
Finally found one in near perfect condition. $96 including freight. I might have paid a little too much, but I really wanted one with no rust and in super condition. So, I am happy with my purchase (and try not to think about Monk's indicator purchase for $25).
View attachment 235096

That's not a bad price for that full set in excellent condition. I paid $95 for mine, the exact same set in excellent condition. I think you did good cause I've seen much worse go for more over the years.

Got me a couple of American Int'l Electric Impulse Heat Sealers. I really only wanted the one with the cutter. The other one was an impulse buy. ;) It was in brand new condition, I sent an offer & the seller accepted, too cheap to pass up.

Img_2339.jpg

I already have this model dial indicator which I use quite often. Again, I sent an offer just for the heck of it. Seller accepted. Not bad for $25 shipped. Will keep as a back up since this model is discontinued.

Img_2344.jpg

Got me a Power Probe III. My PPII still works perfectly fine but I've been wanting to upgrade to the PPIII with display. The PPIII has been around for a long time & there are newer models but I don't need all the fancy functions that the new ones have. If you work on cars, the Power Probes are invaluable.

Img_2351.jpg

Will , not sure what you are going to use the heat sealer for, but if your collecting tools, you can sure seal them up in bags if not using them long term. put a drop of oil in the mechanism b4 you put it in and consider putting in descicants or rice to keep it dry too. But then you live in CA where the humidity is already low...

Will , not sure what you are going to use the heat sealer for, but if your collecting tools, you can sure seal them up in bags if not using them long term. put a drop of oil in the mechanism b4 you put it in and consider putting in descicants or rice to keep it dry too. But then you live in CA where the humidity is already low...

Thanks Jeff, no I didn't get them for bagging/sealing tools. If I did seal them then I wouldn't be able to use them. :) Not for anything machining or tool related so I supposed it doesn't belong on this site but they are tools.

But yeah here in Socal luckily I don't have to worry about humidity. But still I have reusable desiccant packs in any drawers that contain my machining related tools. Occasionally I'll get light surface rust on certain thingsafter it rains. But it's nothing that is really concerning & it don't rain much. A quick wipe with oil or scotchbrite takes care of it.

Another ebay flash sale purchase. Got me a beater height gauge today. Well it's not really a beater & it's brand new. I got this one to leave out on the bench/surface plate cause I don't want to keep my other height gauge out all the time. My other height gauge is a larger vernier Mitutoyo that stays in it's wooden case. Kind of a hassle to use when I just want a quick measurement or scribe.

So I got a 6" digital height gauge. It's an import branded M-DRO which is the same brand my lathe DRO is. Only this time I didn't have to order from the UK, M-DRO now has a US distributor which is SRA. I have various SRA products as well so it was surprising to see that they are working together now.

Came with an indicator attachment & I got an extra carbide scriber for it. Base is a bit heavier & larger than I expected but I guess it's not a bad thing. The smaller size & being digital will make it very easy to use. My only concern now is that my Mitu may not get as much love & daylight anymore but I'll try to not let that happen. :)

Sorry for the "stock" photo, got surgery on my leg today so I didn't feel like going to the garage to snap photos.

imgp7950.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back