2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the "stock" photo, got surgery on my leg today so I didn't feel like going to the garage to snap photos.]
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery! Hope you can start enjoying you new height gauge soon.

Another ebay flash sale purchase. Got me a beater height gauge today. Well it's not really a beater & it's brand new. I got this one to leave out on the bench/surface plate cause I don't want to keep my other height gauge out all the time. My other height gauge is a larger vernier Mitutoyo that stays in it's wooden case. Kind of a hassle to use when I just want a quick measurement or scribe.

So I got a 6" digital height gauge. It's an import branded M-DRO which is the same brand my lathe DRO is. Only this time I didn't have to order from the UK, M-DRO now has a US distributor which is SRA. I have various SRA products as well so it was surprising to see that they are working together now.

Came with an indicator attachment & I got an extra carbide scriber for it. Base is a bit heavier & larger than I expected but I guess it's not a bad thing. The smaller size & being digital will make it very easy to use. My only concern now is that my Mitu may not get as much love & daylight anymore but I'll try to not let that happen. :)

Sorry for the "stock" photo, got surgery on my leg today so I didn't feel like going to the garage to snap photos.

View attachment 235235
Darkzero,

Curious about what you think of the height gauge, I've been looking at one also. I see them for under $70 on eBay. They look like a 6" digital vernier/ mill quill DRO mounted on a base with the scribe. Should work fine as I trust my Chinese digital calipers. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

Shars got me for another 200 bucks this week. :p Man I need to stay out of their catalog.

Darkzero,

Curious about what you think of the height gauge, I've been looking at one also. I see them for under $70 on eBay. They look like a 6" digital vernier/ mill quill DRO mounted on a base with the scribe. Should work fine as I trust my Chinese digital calipers. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

Bruce, ok I'll post in this thread later after I recover, hopefully soon.

But yes, it's similar to a mill quill DRO but it has a few more functions like the digital Mitutoyo height gauges. My Mitu quill DRO only has zero & inch/mm functions.

I choose this one cause the cheaper ones I saw have like a digital caliper DRO. So the display is sideways & there is no fine adjust besides the ones that have a thumbwheel like digital calipers. Even the Starrett 6" is this way, aside from that I don't like Starrett for digital.

The one I got also has a removeable scribe. The others have a permanent fixed scribe.

Got me a Yuasa 6.3" fine pole round magnetic chuck today. Going to use this on the lathe for thin washers & spacers. I'm excited to try it out. Looks like it will clean up nicely.

20170610_180920-800x624.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back