2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave E-bay some love. Ordered a metric 5c collet set, scored a nice 0-1 Starrett blade mic, a like new 0-1" Federal DTI for 6 bucks and also some made in Japan (not China) NOS thread measuring wires.

Not a purchase, just some horse-trading with a buddy whose a retired tool & die maker in CT. Don't remember what I sent him a year or two ago, but he was cleaning out one of his tool boxes and found these parallel machine files (die filer files). Big grin on my face when the package showed up unexpectedly!

Bruce

20170715_160429.jpg

Friday I managed to "acquire" a bunch of gear cutters that a local shop was clearing off. They had sold off their gear cutting machine, ( it was built in 1912! His Dad purchased it from the Atlas Tack Co. in Fairhaven MA when they were closing the doors.) as there was less and less call for that job and they moved into some newer vertical millers. There's gotta be maybe 50 or even 75 pieces, complete with an inch of dust/dirt. So I'll spend today cleaning and going through them, hope to do an inventory too.
And then yesterday the wife wanted to go to one of the local "craft fairs".. not my cup of tea but gotta keep peace in the house. She didn't find anything to bring home from there so she says let's hit a couple yard sales on the way home. I'm game, never know what you'll find right?? Long story short I "find" a Craftsman 12" bandsaw. So I brought that home as well!

I'll snap some pics for ya'll and put'em up tonite.

I picked up a set of titanium coated left-hand drill bits, from the tool whores at the annual John Deere Expo, in Canandaigua, NY.

I was very tempted to buy a 1946 John Deere model LA, but resisted, the JD is local, so if I do decide later, it's still possible.

I suppose to go this afternoon to look at a Bridgeport slotting head, for the mill.

I bought on Friday, one of the Evolution brand carbide bladedchop saws, like the one MonkMan showed.

It's been an expense couple of months.

I opened the saw box, took a serious look at the base and boxed it back up and the saw will be returned on Monday. There is nothing wrong with the saw, but the base does not offer, any convent way to fasten it to the table. I may end up with the saw again, but I want to look a little further. I obviously could modify the base, to make it rigid to the table, but as saw cost, I'm hesitant to hack up a tool right out of the box. If the saw become the only viable option, I will modify it in a heartbeat.

You're in the gear making business now, whether you want to be or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back