32x40 H -- Gas Engine

Really nice work Brian
can I ask who you purchased your cast iron from and how much it was? Is there a type that is the best for a sleeve and rings and the types your using? I have been considering doing a gas engine next.
steve

Hi Steve.
The iron I am using for this project is known as Meehanite it has excellent strength and stability. and in bar form is continuously cast keeping it free from gas bubbles and hard spots. it is also used to cast things like brake drums that have to be stable under harsh conditions.

The company that I got mine from is South West Steam Miniature Engineering They advertise on E Bay. so you can see the price per inch. but remember the company is in England so post is a very big consideration, the post to Sicily was almost the same as the cost of the metal.

I understand that Durabar in the USA is a good grade of iron and easy to work.

My only other comment is that its dirty,Black dust everywhere and almost impossible to get clean after.
I will be glad when I have finished the iron parts. A workshop Vac is a must, I use a vac that was made to clean stove grates so it tolerates the odd hot chip in it's metal lined tube.

Best Regards Brian.
I forgot, the rings I am using are from a weed cutter or chain saw also advertised on E Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your reply
I didn't notice you were located in Sicily...
I have seen a lot of nice model engine stuff from England but the post has kept me from ordering.
steve

As its the sailing season the shop takes a back seat until the madness goes away.
But I do get a little done when I am at home At the last count I had a small pile of parts including the base and side plate blanks.
P1012729a.JPG
So having a little spare time I pushed on with the side plates.

The pair of plates where squared up on the mill and using my newly acquired wiggler the point for the main bearings was found and a pilot hole drilled.

P1012730a.JPG
The hole was then opened out to take the main bearings.

Great care on the last cuts.but I now have a matched pair of side plates.

Brian.

P1012729a.JPG P1012730a.JPG P1012732.JPG

Now if we stack the pile differently it looks as though one day it possibly may make a engine??

P1012733.JPG

Onward and upward.
Brian

P1012733.JPG

Having returned from the boat for a few days the lure of the shop was just to great, so iv'e done a little on the head --drilling the guides --valve ports -- and assembly ports, all having to be concentric with each other.

P1012782.JPG

Then the combustion chamber was roughed out, ready for some very careful milling.

P1012785.JPG

P1012786.JPG

Slowly slowly..

Brian.

P1012782.JPG P1012785.JPG P1012786.JPG

Absolutely fascinating and a great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
Mark

With all the main milling jobs done, I now have to make a valve seat cutter to cut the seats.
I am going to have to think about this one, so I will continue with other parts until I find the answer.

P1012795.JPG

Brian.

P1012795.JPG

Back