54r Aluminum Mauser Stock Project

Dang, that's PURTY !!! Love the fluted barrel and not just for its looks, that barrel has a lot more surface area for radiation/convection cooling ! It should be more temperature-stable during a string of shots, right ?

Wow, that looks really great!!! What kind of scope mount do you plan on adding to it? That's a mean beak.

I drilled and tapped the action today for a set of Warne Maxima bases for an unaltered 98 action. I gotta say, I was a little nervous having heard so many horror stories about how hard some of the actions are.

Here's a great tip if you need a tap for a scope: Standard bases require a 6-48 tap. Gun supply places charge about $5/tap plus about $8 shipping, McMaster Carr charges $21/tap and $8 shipping. They are all selling Hanson taps. I found out that Advanced Auto will order them for about $2.20 each plus $6 shipping (for 2-day delivery!). I ordered 6 taps plus $9 shipping for $21 and got them in 2 days. Advanced auto just has the taps drop shipped from the factory so they have the best prices on taps.

Wow, that is one gorgeous rifle! Great craftsmanship.

Tom

Very cleaver design and great looking machining. Are you going to anodize it when complete?

Very cleaver design and great looking machining. Are you going to anodize it when complete?

I intended to hard anodize but my plans have changed. I'm going to polish the aluminum instead then paint it with a paint designed to put color over chrome and then clearcoat it.

After polishing all the aluminum to a near mirror finish I finally got the parts painted and the steel parkerized. I'll give it about a week for the paint to fully cure before trying shoot it for the first time.

DSCF7009_zpsndqowcmq.jpg

DSCF7008_zpsrpzfbzfc.jpg

DSCF7006_zps4i0pfgne.jpg

The paint job is great !!
Did anyone else notice the reflection of the bolt handle ?

Back