5V Arbors - Any Interest?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to make some 5V drive spindles splined/keyed for compound heads and likely a few arbors.
I'm thinking about setting up the hex turret and doing a small production run.
These shanks might also work for end mill holders.
If I do the turret set up it'd be easy to make additional shafts if anyone might be interested.
Am curious if anyone has interest or need.
This is early in the fab process, so don't expect them next week.....

Daryl
MN

I would be interested in an arbor. Any chance for a 1-1/4"?

EdK, how long would you like a 1-1/4" arbor to be? Size of parallel key?

I'd probably make arbors from 4140 or 1144. But, am always open to input.
Cost of material is a significant factor here... Please note that you don't pay anything until there is something to ship.
Examples (I am not necessarily advocating this vendor):

I'd work up a cost before you are committed to a purchase.
If you have a lathe and want to do the work. I'll gladly forward a pic of the drawing at no cost.
There are several collet drawings online in various places (attached). But none with a drive hub.
I like the VN arbors with drive hubs and will start with 2" round stock so that we can incorporate the drive hub and not just the single woodruff.

Yesterday I worked out the numbers and turned a drive for a universal high speed head, I have yet to add splines.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• VN_5V1_L Collet Print.gif
    VN_5V1_L Collet Print.gif
    81.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 5V arbor1.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5V arbor2.pdf
    12.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Collet Drawing Van Norman Milling Machine Spindle Tooling.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 19
  • VN C Arbor spec 1966.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 21
  • VNdrawingC0385-C--Ctoolholderblank.png
    VNdrawingC0385-C--Ctoolholderblank.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • VN C collet key - rev2.png
    VN C collet key - rev2.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 33
Daryl, I am new to the Van Norman world so please bear with me as I may have got my terminology confused. I have a VN12 and it came reasonably complete. I do have a set of collets and they are 5V if I understand correctly. Now I don't see 5V arbors listed in the catalog rather "C"-style shank arbors and the arbors I presently have look similar although they do not all have drive hubs. Are these terms interchangeable? It would seem so.

Anyhow I need to think about arbor length. The parallel key on the 1-1/4" arbor should be 5/16" I would think.
My 1" arbor is a little chewed up around the key and I'd like to replace it but cost is a factor and I may try to repair.

I'll read up on your alloy choices and likely alternatives as soon as I can

This forum doesn't seem like it sees much action so you surprised me with your quick response!

Ed

According to the VN lit C and 5V are the same.
I created the term Drive Hub.
I also have arbors without the drive hub.
Makes no difference to me what you get.
Or, choose that you don't get one after all.
And/Or, that you want to make your own.

Daryl
MN

Daryl, I am new to the Van Norman world so please bear with me as I may have got my terminology confused. I have a VN12 and it came reasonably complete. I do have a set of collets and they are 5V if I understand correctly. Now I don't see 5V arbors listed in the catalog rather "C"-style shank arbors and the arbors I presently have look similar although they do not all have drive hubs. Are these terms interchangeable? It would seem so.

Anyhow I need to think about arbor length. The parallel key on the 1-1/4" arbor should be 5/16" I would think.
My 1" arbor is a little chewed up around the key and I'd like to replace it but cost is a factor and I may try to repair.

I'll read up on your alloy choices and likely alternatives as soon as I can

This forum doesn't seem like it sees much action so you surprised me with your quick response!

Ed
Hi EDK,

I'm over in Wilton NH and have a 22L currently, I also just missed out on a cheap good condition No12 in MA last week. As I was going to text the seller back that I wanted to come down and pay him, he sent me a message that it was sold and pending pickup.

Scra99tch - nice to meet you. Too bad you didn't get it and then be in need of some 5V tooling

EdK, how long would you like a 1-1/4" arbor to be? Size of parallel key?

I'd probably make arbors from 4140 or 1144. But, am always open to input.
Cost of material is a significant factor here... Please note that you don't pay anything until there is something to ship.
Examples (I am not necessarily advocating this vendor):

I'd work up a cost before you are committed to a purchase.
If you have a lathe and want to do the work. I'll gladly forward a pic of the drawing at no cost.
There are several collet drawings online in various places (attached). But none with a drive hub.
I like the VN arbors with drive hubs and will start with 2" round stock so that we can incorporate the drive hub and not just the single woodruff.

Yesterday I worked out the numbers and turned a drive for a universal high speed head, I have yet to add splines.

Daryl
MN
Thanks for posting all those drawings in one spot, Daryl.

I have a nice old Van Norman dividing head that accepts 5V collets.

Over the years, I've made a couple collets, a dead center, etc. as projects have necessitated. Pretty sure I'd have used 4140 prehard to make them, as that's my go-to material for this type of stuff.

Maybe one day I'll get to work on making up a full-ish set of collets and arbors.

Last edited:
I need to make some 5V drive spindles splined/keyed for compound heads and likely a few arbors.
I'm thinking about setting up the hex turret and doing a small production run.
These shanks might also work for end mill holders.
If I do the turret set up it'd be easy to make additional shafts if anyone might be interested.
Am curious if anyone has interest or need.
This is early in the fab process, so don't expect them next week.....

Daryl
MN
I would be interested in a 1" and 1 1/4" arbor each 12" long.

I appreciate the specificity!!
Now just to get them done!!
Thanks,
Dary
MN

Back