A Beginners Clock

Re: The next project

but your craftsmanship is awesome.

David

Well said. The quality of his work makes me 'furious'.

I am observing the progress of this project and:

1. It makes me proud that there are people (eg. hare) who appreciate decent piece of clock work.

2. And it makes me furious that, unfortunately, the majority of hm... us people out there prefer to go to one of the junk-garbage shops with products made by robots in one of the largest of countries, be happy to buy piece of crude plastic with a battery and throw it away within few months.

Very pleasing project.

J

David---Julius. Thank you very much for your kind comments. A Craftsman to me is a high compliment.

I hope you continue to enjoy this thread , I hope to have it ticking soon, but other jobs keep geting in the way.

Brian.

I seem to be getting a bit behind with this thread so I will try to catch up a bit.

While I had a few spare moments I made the blank for the dial. BUT this caused me more trouble than I bargained for, because a face plate is not normaly supplyied with the lathe, so I had to make one.This also has to have a thin sacrificial surface for the tool to cut into.

P1012030.JPG

P1012031.JPG

Now trepanning is not a thing I enjoy doing its so easy for the tool to grab, so the work is fixed with screws into the wood--double sided tape --and a draw bar.!!!!!!

P1012032.JPG

First cut off the outer ring, and refix the plate.

P1012036.JPG

Then cut the inner ring.

P1012037.JPG

And that's it, Time for a beer. :drink2:

brian.

P1012030.JPG P1012031.JPG P1012032.JPG P1012036.JPG P1012037.JPG

<Dont confuse clockwork with top end enginering : That it is NOT>

Nice work Brian and some very clever work arounds if you don't have the proper tools. But I must disagree with the above statement. I think you have overlooked the fact that there are many levels of clock work just as there many levels of machining. My last clock was designed and built from scratch, is time, strike and chime and has a five planet orrey. Lots of top end engineering went into it's design.

<Dont confuse clockwork with top end enginering : That it is NOT>

Nice work Brian and some very clever work arounds if you don't have the proper tools. But I must disagree with the above statement. I think you have overlooked the fact that there are many levels of clock work just as there many levels of machining. My last clock was designed and built from scratch, is time, strike and chime and has a five planet orrey. Lots of top end engineering went into it's design.

I agree, I think the comment was made with regard to this clock , and the case that engineers often try to "improve" traditional clocks and then wonder why they dont run, perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Brian

It was only after cutting the dial plate that I found I was getting away from the original idea of this project, the dial when finished will have cost about $20

But one of the hour wheels can be made from the centre scrap.

So with this in mind I looked around for a second way of making the dial,

I have in my collection scans and photos of scrap clock dials for referance. so I found one that looked ok and did a photoshop job on it then made it the right size on the printer.
A dial blank was cut from some scrap alloy plate and the print bonded on.
Apart from the chepo ink in the printer giving it a blueish tinge during the bonding I think the dial looks good.

Cost less than $1

P1012104.JPG

Brian.

P1012104.JPG

I agree, I think the comment was made with regard to this clock , and the case that engineers often try to "improve" traditional clocks and then wonder why they dont run, perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Brian

Brian, If you can find a copy of "Gears for small mechanisms" by W.O. Davis it's probably the best book ever written on the subject of gear cutting. It's hard to find but maybe your library can find it for you.

Brian, If you can find a copy of "Gears for small mechanisms" by W.O. Davis it's probably the best book ever written on the subject of gear cutting. It's hard to find but maybe your library can find it for you.

Thanks I think Tom will be interested in that to.

Brian.

So as I am stuck at home with broncitus, I will spend some time in the shop getting on wih the Verge---Foliot---and Pallet, this is the controll centre of the clock.

First the verge ( the vertical shaft that has the Pallet at the bottom and the Foliot at the top )

Now go out and by a bottle of wine, one with a cork, remove the cork, leave the wine to breathe.
Put the cork in the lathe, drill a 3mm hole through.

P1012106.JPG

We now have the suport for a length of 3mm silver steel ( drill rod ).

P1012107.JPG

Turn it down and thread the end for 5/16"10 BA.

P1012108.JPG

We will cut it to length later

P1012113.JPG

Drink the wine. :thumbsup:

Brian.

P1012106.JPG P1012107.JPG P1012108.JPG P1012113.JPG

Had a little while to spare today so I made the Verge thrust pad.

Tooth pick for comparison.

P1012172.JPG

Brian.

P1012172.JPG

Back