A Project Quest

I do have to apologize if I started something. My only concern was that someone with either no or very little experience with bearings might put the bearing in wrong. Only because we do have many people who are new to this type of hobby. Next time I will keep my comments like that to PM's.

Bill,

Thank you . You did not start anything. You are observant and that shows me you are paying attention. I sometimes take some knowledge for granted. I will try to be more cautious for the inexperienced.

No apology necessary Bill, you did not start anything. You had a legitimate question and Mark fixed it. We had already known it was wrong and needed to be revised. All is taken care of. Time to move on with this project. My motor arrived just now, I'm almost ready to start

Yes we are still progressing on this project. In about a week all the parts and materials should be here. At that time I will start sending what needs to go to Mark. We will begin construction ant the same time. Thanks for your patience.

"Bill & Mark"

A big thanks from me to you guys for doing these projects you do.

If I make it that far, I look forward to the day (hopefully days) when I can actually spend more than a few minutes or hours trying to accomplish something in the shop. Very jealous of you two. :D :encourage:

(living vicariously through others for the time being...)

Thanks guys, this project is so interesting to watch. I read each post and then spend time looking at the drawings to understand what you are all talking about. I can only aspire to have the knowledge and understanding of these concepts that you all have.

Reactions: ome
Mark,

With all part sizes added in we can raise an 8 inch wheel from 0 to 8 inches above the mag chuck. I think that will be enough for Home Machinist use. If a builder were to want more height the tower would have to be raised accordingly. As we sit we have 1 inch leeway at the top.

"Bill"

Mark,

With all part sizes added in we can raise an 8 inch wheel from 0 to 8 inches above the mag chuck. I think that will be enough for Home Machinist use. If a builder were to want more height the tower would have to be raised accordingly. As we sit we have 1 inch leeway at the top.

"Bill"
Sounds good to me.

I made a few corrections in all the spindle prints I sent you. The ones I sent you were simply for you to get an idea from anyway. I will be making a mock up of the spindle with the taper to get the actual dimension. I will send you final prints when I get the mock up parts made.

That is an awesome amount of room to have above the chuck to the 8" wheel.
Now that is what I call a great surface grinder !
This is a wonderful idea.
Thanks for including us "hobbyists"

My surface grinder has a two speed vertical lift for the head. With a .0001" downfeed scale and if you pull the wheel outwards you can increase feed 4x for rapid traverses. If Mark or Bill would be interested I can either find a schematic or try and take my machine apart a little to take pictures of the design for construction on your grinders.

Thank you for the offer Andre. The drive is already figured out. Chain drive on two lead screws. We will have the same downfeed as yours.

"Bill"

Back