A Project Quest

This is a DRAFT of the spindle. The dimensions are all calculated so some may be incorrect. As soon as I have the steel in my hands, I will make the body and spindle shaft. any errors found will be corrected at that time and these prints updated. If you have any questions, ask. if you see something you don't understand , ask. If you see an error, let me know and if needed I will correct it. There are a few dimensions missing because I am not sure of them yet. I am going to machine a mock up of the taper to get the actual dimensions needed.
6 inch long spindle.jpg Spindle Body.jpg Spindle Shaft.jpg
Wheel Arbor.jpg

That is an awesome amount of room to have above the chuck to the 8" wheel.
Now that is what I call a great surface grinder !
This is a wonderful idea.
Thanks for including us "hobbyists"

You are welcome. That was the idea here. The joint project was selected and done here for the purpose of including all the members possible in some capacity as a learning experience for many and hopefully instill the confidence in some to build a project, no matter how simple or complex, but realize the steps that it takes and that anyone can build something useful to themselves. This is an opportunity for us to pass some of our knowledge to others.

Reactions: ome
I'm still trying to figure out what the original issue was with the first spindle drawing in post 237. Is there still an error in that or has it been updated? I feel there is a lot to learn from seeing something drawn the wrong way and understanding why. Bearings are still a knowledge gap for me.
This is looking super so far. I can't wait to see the spindle in progress!
Robert

I'm still trying to figure out what the original issue was with the first spindle drawing in post 237. Is there still an error in that or has it been updated? I feel there is a lot to learn from seeing something drawn the wrong way and understanding why. Bearings are still a knowledge gap for me.
This is looking super so far. I can't wait to see the spindle in progress!
Robert
No, the drawing was updated.

I was asked a question about the taper in the spindle not being standard. I have it stated as 15 degrees while in actuality it is 3IPF (inches per foot) which is very slightly less than 15 degrees. We will be using 3 IPF. When I first drew the print I picked up the 15 degrees from the catalog. They refer to it as 15 but in fine print it does say 3 IPF. This will be corrected in the final print set.

A few of you are very observant and found a couple dimensions that need corrected. This is good because there is a lot of info here and I spent many hours calculating it. :headache:
I know there may be a few errors , so if you spot any , just asked about it. if it is wrong, it will be corrected. this is part of building a project and the larger the project the more difficult it can get. You draw a print and usually correct it MANY times before actually making the part. By posting the drafts , you all get the opportunity to help with this phase of the project. I really don't want to hold the information back until it it positively correct and post it at the last minute, as you would miss this part of the process of building something. That is why there are several drafts when making something.

Thank you all for assisting in this phase.

You have all heard the phrase ---- It only takes one bad apple. With that said, this is an open build. All are welcomed to participate. Mark and I wish it to stay that way. Just because something has been envisioned does not make it written in stone. We have taken the blinders off and wish to hear all. That does not mean that Mark and I will sit here twiddli9ng our thumbs while someone tries to derail this project. It has happened once already and will not happen again. We reserve the right to delete anything that looks like that. Please allow us and the rest of the membership to proceed with this project without further flack.

NOW -- for all of our helpers both new and old, feel free to post any question that pertains to the build or even an off comment if you wish. If it even looks like someone is going to put you down it will be dealt with immediately if not sooner. I will personally see to it. Jump on in everybody, I just cleaned the pool. There will be no more nonsense. This is an equal playing field. It's your playing field. Feel free to use it anytime you wish.

"Bill and Mark" :encourage::encourage::encourage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill G.

I got the Lovejoy couplings today. I will be sending one to you after I get the Bellville washers and lock nuts . That way I can send one package.

Well I am always better at finding someone else's mistake than I am of finding my own. I think it is because when we do our own stuff and make a mistake we tend to do the same mistake again sometimes. So may not always see it right away.

Back