A Question About The Care Of Metal Files

kentuckyjim

Registered
Registered
I machine fishing rod ferrules from 642 silicone aluminum bronze and 752 nickel silver. For final fitting of the male to female connecting slide I finish them with very fine Grobet files. My problem is they log up with filings that I have not been able to remove with the fine wire cleaning brushes. Is there someone here who will share the secret to cleaning these files? Thanks

If the files are very fine, the wires of your file card probably do not manage to 'grab' the filings and push or pull them out. Additionally, the old timers recommend rubbing some chalk on files before using them, which allows them to clean out more easily. I have never used the chalk trick. As for getting them clean, try using some brass or copper on them, pushed across the file at the same angle as the rows of teeth. It will take several strokes before it starts to work. This method will remove filings that otherwise remain stuck in the file. Hardwood works also. Have a look at Frank Ford's idea here: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/FileCleaner/filecleaner.html

Terry werm
Thanks for the quick reply and the helpful links. The fishing rods I make are from bamboo and I have buckets full of cut offs.

Just tried the cane and it worked very well! I also did one file with some brass with good results as well. They now look like new. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chalk method helps to lubricate the file , and the cleaning of your files should be as often as you notice them loading up. Brass loosens the stuck chips because of its softness, copper the same. At least if my old memory is still working. Our shop teacher during my first six weeks or so of machine tool and die had all of us work with files till we could make square blocks 1" + or - .001 and square blocks done by hand with a file is pure torture at 14 years old . If I remember just trying to hacksaw them straight and not leave to much metal was a tuff one. But we learned how to use and care for the file. I still keep a piece of brass with them in my box. Just push your brass accross the teeth it will clean it .

I about a year overdue. I kept trying different brushes but the files were too fine. I was starting to think they were ruined. A half hour today and they are looking like new. Is the chalk like the old school chalk? Or something special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing special about the chalk -- I use the regular blackboard stuff. Helps to keep the chips loose in the file and they knock out easier, especially aluminum.

-frank

I have also heard from old machinist books that Turpentine works very well on files to prevent pinning.

Back