A Question About The Care Of Metal Files

One thing I should have added about the chalk, I don't leave the file full of it when I'm done. In other words, I brush the chalk out of the teeth before putting it away. Had a problem with once where the chalk attracted moisture and I got a rust spot in the teeth, so I don't let that happen anymore.

-frank

I appreciate the follow up. These are nice files but pricey. I am fighting rust in my shop anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A piece of copper pipe works really well on single cut files. You run the end of the copper pipe ( I like 1/2 inch Hard copper)
at a 45 degree angle to the file and parallel to the grooves. This forms the shape of the file contour and is very effective
for removing what is called pins.

Another option to try. I have some copper pipe so I'll give that a try too. I did notice that the brass and cane both worked best when edge was a sharp 90. As it began to wear it was less effective. This should give a longer lasting edge to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fell in love with magicut files particularly for aluminium, wd40 works wonders in stopping pinning on these.

Thank you all for your helpful ideas. I was able to get all three files back to like new condition. I would still be interested in more detail about the wax response. Is it car wax, or bee wax or something exotic.A very productive afternoon. I was truly amazed at how much came out of those tiny grooves.

If you have any worn out electric motor brushes they can be used similarly to chalk, however they will leave a thin residue on the work. The graphite lubricates the file as well, but it fills the file with graphite powder, an old rag works well to clear this powder out. I have also seen brass chunks used by sliding them along the cutting edge, however I don't know if these methods can cause long term damage. Best of luck! ~MetalMan1309

Another vote on the copper. I have had a piece of copper tubing in my box almost as long as I have worked in a shop. The old timers then showed me that one. Mine is about a 1/2" piece, flattened together on one end. Works awesome.

Back