A Short Note About Holding Cutting Tools On Small Lathes

...I saw a couple of YouTube videos (one from Tom at Ox Tools, and one from John on his Doubleboost channel) that mentioned a swan neck or spring tool holder. These aren't new, and Williams and Armstrong made them for lantern style tool posts decades ago.

And for those that have never seen one, there are a couple of them in this collection. Both parting and threading tools are shown in the spring configuration. Apologies for quality, these came from an old book, Care and Operation Of A Lathe courtesy Sheldon Machine Tool Corporation.

armstrong_tools_zpsdeswkqq4.jpg

armstrong_tools_zpsdeswkqq4.jpg

...I use a 4 position post wich I prefer. I have a QTCP but I dont like it. I have tried a few mods to it but it is still the same issue of the cutting tool hanging out too far...

We share the preference for the 4-way tool post. Most people whine about the lack of height adjustment (for centering the cutter) in these tool holders but it hasn't always been that way. Take a look at the lathe tool holders in Machinery's Handbook and we'll find that older 4-ways had a rocker in each position for adjustment, just like Armstrong tool holders.

It is possible to improve a QCTP with a simple modification that is much like the post that I added under my 4-way. The following is a posed photo just to show the concept. Drilling and tapping the underneath side of a QC tool holder would allow a set-screw to be used for supporting the tool holder.

The adjustment would be somewhat of a trial and error process which could get tiresome. Also the compound would probably have to be moved to some inconvenient angle so that the set-screw rests solidly on it.

P1040903_zpsbfsvbpcq.jpg

P1040903_zpsbfsvbpcq.jpg

Back